Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im not very familiar with gears outside of drive, but i was doing some reading about intermediate gear and i could not find anything on when it is safe to switch into it and out of it. So my question is when is it safe to go into and get out of "I"? i have a 2007 2.2 sedan automatic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Above 40 MPH, "I" drops it down to 3rd gear. Below 40 MPH, it drops down to 2nd. So it's good for engine braking or climbing a long hill when you don't want the transmission hunting gears all the time.

·
Registered
675 Posts
^x2

ive used it a few times coming off an exit ramp downhill too fast, dropping it down to 2nd

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use it a lot when on mountain roads like the Blue Ridge Partway. It will take care of it's self and select the next lowest gear that's allowed by the computer. It will also shift up to the next gear when the speed increases. My 2LT shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 41 mph or the opposite if you are slowing down. It sure helps save the brakes.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah although ive noticed that it waits until its high in the rpm band to shift gears. normally in D if i m driving nicely it shifts between 2700-3000 whereas in I it usually hits almost 4000 before itll upshift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.