Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 LS automatic: At random times, my shifter doesn't want to shift out of park, I just have to keep jiggling it until it lets go. Of course it wouldn't do it for the mechanic, so he said it wasn't broke. My fear is that some time I'll be in the middle of nowhere and jiggling won't be enough to free it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you start to pull on the lever before you put your foot on the brake it will sometimes lock itself out. You always have to do it sequentially, no pressure should be applied to the shifter before the solenoid has released it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Park Neutral safety switch located inside the valve body of the transmission. Today's cars you must apply the brake pedal in order to engage to gear it out of park position.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you start to pull on the lever before you put your foot on the brake it will sometimes lock itself out. You always have to do it sequentially, no pressure should be applied to the shifter before the solenoid has released it.
Going from my trailblazer you could tap the brake and pull the shifter at the same time. In this you have to hold the brake then pull took awhile to get used too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Park Neutral safety switch located inside the valve body of the transmission.
???

The Park Neutral switch is on top of transmission and has nothing to do with locking or unlocking of the shifting lever, it is a status switch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic said that neutral safety switch only prevented starting, no connection to the shifter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.