Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan.

I am having an intermittent issue where it gets stuck in park sometimes. When this happens, it is clearly because the shift interlock solenoid is not disengaging to allow the shifter to move. But I do not believe it to be a bad interlock solenoid, most of the time it functions just fine. When this does occur, I can hear something else clicking (sounds like it is down near the BCM/passenger side center console area) and the auto locks trying to cycle. If my foot is on the brake while it is doing this, I can also hear the interlock solenoid cycling. But sometimes this causes the interlock solenoid to stay engaged and the only way to disengage it is taking things apart to manually move it with a screwdriver, or some times it will go back to functioning correctly simply by turning off and restarting the car. I initially thought it may be the interlock solenoid so I pulled it out, but it looks to be in perfect shape and working like it is supposed to. The brake circuits all function just fine, even when the issue occurs.

Any ideas on what else could be causing the shift interlock solenoid to stay engaged every now and then?

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I replaced the brake light switch a couple of weeks ago, I noticed there’s another switch, below it that the brake pedal engages. I haven’t ever changed one of the other switches and don’t really know what it is. Could be for the shifter. Could also be for the cruise control. Also noticed that there’s a rubber bump stop strip that the switches touch when the pedal isn’t depressed and that had worn a bit.

Usually the problem you’re having is related to the shifter lock solenoid going bad and would need the shifter assembly. I’ll see if I can think of anything else to check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a brand new solenoid on hand, so I can replace it and see if that does anything. It just seems to me that the existing solenoid operates just fine until something else triggers it to act up. It seems to coincide with the clicking coming from down in the area of the BCM.

I can swap out the solenoid later (provided Hurricane Laura stays east) and see what that does.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious if you ever discovered what was causing your issue, my mothers 2009 Cobalt seems to be having the same issue. So far I've replaced the Neutral Safety Switch, and the Shifter Solenoid. My mother is retired so has limited funds available to put towards fixing this so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious if you ever discovered what was causing your issue, my mothers 2009 Cobalt seems to be having the same issue. So far I've replaced the Neutral Safety Switch, and the Shifter Solenoid. My mother is retired so has limited funds available to put towards fixing this so any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for the late reply, I guess my notifications were turned off. I initially removed the shift interlock solenoid, cleaned it and making sure the wires were crimped in tight (it is kind of crappy the way they are stuffed in there from the factory). I put it all back together and it hasn't done it since. I guess if it starts back up I will try the new solenoid, but I'm still not convinced that is really the problem.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have run into the problem on various vehicles where the pins on wiring harnesses will not be seating all the way in. Or for some reason have loosened up. Sometimes pushing the wire from the rear side so it fits all the way into the connector has fixed similar problems where an intermittent electrical issues is happening. Actually I find it a lot of times on steering columns. Maybe because someone has done a repair and wasn’t careful disconnecting wiring. Who knows. But I see it a lot on customers cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts