Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
No. You would have to rebuild the entire engine and have a lot of compression and custom stuff done to hit 200hp without a turbo or SC on the 2.2. If it were other engines, sure! lol

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would agree with leeveecius. Its not impossible, just that you would need to force a lot of air into the cylinder to make more power. I think if you had the 2.4 n/a SS, then bolt ons, tune and mild cams would do it, but a 2.2L, your gonna need to bore something out and run higher compression.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I myself have wondered the same thing. Unfortunately, even fully bolted and aggressively tuned, you're only looking at around the 170whp mark. The only way to see more would be to crack open the engine and do some serious custom work like stroking it, shaving the head/block, higher CR pistons, cams, etc. For the price of 200hp NA, you can do all kinds of wild stuff with a turbo or supercharger that'll run circles around your car. Not to put you down, it's only honesty.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

This'll make for an interesting read on the subject:

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/46882-l61-n-dragster.html

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you plan on bottling the baby, ensure that you have a better material than plastic for intake manifold for wet shot. If you plan on a 50 shot, just be aware that it can split that manifold into many pieces.

·
Registered
435 Posts
But wouldn't installing aftermarket cams make it sound like a carborated hotrod?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
But wouldn't installing aftermarket cams make it sound like a carborated hotrod?
Not necessarily. I know when I put my cams in my evo, they were super aggressive (the 3rd from the top). Yes it had a lopey idle to it, but all you had to do was advance the idle timing a little bit and it smoothed right out. If you retard the timing tho, it just made it sound that much more mean (at least that's what I did for kicks and giggles, then put it back to a nice sound idle (at least to me)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Am I to understand bigger lobes means bigger power?
Bigger lobes mean it pushes the valve further down, thus allowing for more airflow - so technically yes, it would give more power :)

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Yes, I can see how that works. So at idle, it would run like crap? I remember helping in the replacing of a vtec solenoid on a CR-V at Honda. It was stuck on due to an oil pressure issue. The car ran rough and bogged at lower rpms.

Or can that be fixed by simply playing with the timing?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Most all of it can be fixed with the timing (ignition timing not mechanical) when it comes to idle with cams.

That is my car with my cams in it last summer. That is how I set it to idle which was actually the base timing map. So basically if I took a stock evo, put those cams in, that's how it would idle. I could have smoothed it out a little or made it even more noticeable, but I didn't.

And as far as the VTEC goes, that's a whole 'nother world right there. VTEC doesn't function like most people think it does and if you don't understand how it functions, then it doesn't do any good to try to explain it lol.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Performance Street use camshafts have a wider angle lobe that allows the valve to remain open longer than OEM, thus creating the wobble wobble sound during idle. Yes, it does sound like the car is misfiring because of valve duration increased.

The camshaft has power, but its specifically designed for a specific rpm range, most street/strip cams will effect from the 4500-8000 range typically and depending on the angle of the lobe too.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I think the separation angle is huge on a street'd car. Letting the LSA dip real low is going to cause massive amounts of idle surge. Yay low idle for awesome earth shaking business.

All this DOHC business though, needs more pushrods.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Sounds amazing for a v6 blugtp

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Pushrods are old school...hence 350's :)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Yep. I was once looking into an '06 G6 GTP 3.9 V6 w/F40 tranny. I was wondering why an engine of that size only made 240hp. Turns out it's an OHV. I wasn't impressed.
They also aren't supercharged like the GP GTP's. The GP GTP's were the 3.8 supercharged in the late 90's, 3.4 DOHC in the mid 90's and 3.1 Turbo's in the late 80's. That is only the GTP's tho, not the GT's and SE's.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.