Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about some of you guys getting way more than 27mpg, but that is what my car is reading on the DIC. What could be wrong?

It's an 07 2.4L NA with 8100 miles. Seems to run good, plenty of power but I don't really drive hard. Mostly highway driving, 26 miles per day round trip.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
hwy or city?
speed?
road conditions? (perfect day out? uphill mainly?)

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Really all depends too how the air glides over the car, I would say wash and wax your car, that will give you about 1-2mpg, actual number too. The DIC isn't always right either, add up your miles on a full tank and divide it by 12, that will give you actual average mpg. Are you using air conditioning during this time?

Mike I would assume that it is all around hwy and city seeing as it is DIC reading and the car's computer knows no difference.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, mostly highway...it's 13 miles one way and only 2 red lights. I'll have to manually compute next time I fill up because it just seems low. My 91 Taurus with 3.8 V6 got 23 mpg!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
this is true. seems like your mileage is fairly normal though because i was just up in PA and its a lot of up, then down, left, then right, then down, then up, then flat...stay flat...UPPPPPPPPP dowwwwwwwn kind of roads lol

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The way i figure out MPG is fill up the tank and zero out the trip odometer. Then next time you add fuel take miles on the trip and divide by gallons of fuel added. Example 200 miles driven and 10 gallons added=20 MPG (EXAMPLE ONLY). That will get you as close to a real MPG figure as you can get. AS stated above the DIC is not perfect.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Okay, now I'm just gonna jack your thread here for a minute...

Now when you guys say you determine the miles on a full tank, how do you guys determine when your tank is "empty"? Do you stop when you get the "low fuel" warning or do you guys literally run it till the engine dies and the tank is totally dry?

I would kinda like to know this, since it wouldn't be a good idea for me to run out of fuel on the road.:eek:h:

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
The way i figure out MPG is fill up the tank and zero out the trip odometer. Then next time you add fuel take miles on the trip and divide by gallons of fuel added. Example 200 miles driven and 10 gallons added=20 MPG (EXAMPLE ONLY). That will get you as close to a real MPG figure as you can get. AS stated above the DIC is not perfect.
This is exactly right. Also in order to make sure the accuracy is consistent try to always fill up at the same station, the same pump, faced the same way. This will account for any pump to pump variation.

Okay, now I'm just gonna jack your thread here for a minute...

Now when you guys say you determine the miles on a full tank, how do you guys determine when your tank is "empty"? Do you stop when you get the "low fuel" warning or do you guys literally run it till the engine dies and the tank is totally dry?

I would kinda like to know this, since it wouldn't be a good idea for me to run out of fuel on the road.:eek:h:
Using the above method you do not need to run your tank empty. It does not matter where your fuel level is when you fill up, except I would go to 1/8 of a tank to get a good mpg over a longer distance.

Rocketfoot: The biggest thing I can think of is how fast you drive on the highway. 2.4 or not, it's still a 4 banger and your mpg drop will still start at 60 or so, and get worse the faster you go.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do average 60 mph or so...that may explain it too because I drive faster when it is light out (can see deer and stuff easier) but in the winter months I averaged around 45-50 and the mpg seemed better.

I need to try slowing down for a week or two and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Really all depends too how the air glides over the car, I would say wash and wax your car, that will give you about 1-2mpg, actual number too. The DIC isn't always right either, add up your miles on a full tank and divide it by 12, that will give you actual average mpg. Are you using air conditioning during this time?

Mike I would assume that it is all around hwy and city seeing as it is DIC reading and the car's computer knows no difference.
I thought we had 13 gallon tanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I thought we had 13 gallon tanks
Cobalts do have 13 gallons tanks, but most of the time the low fuel message will come on when you have about 1.5 gal left (about 40 miles left on fuel range). Filling up at that point would give you a good idea on the MPG over the entire tank.

My cobalt averages about 27-28 in town, 34-35 on hwy(going the speed limit most of the time). It's an '06 LS sedan with the 2.2L.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Hey Rocket, don't feel bad man, I usually get aroud 29 MPG and that is driving like granny around the wesern Pittsburgh area. I have decided that i will no longer drive like granny and I have been doing my 60-75 mph down 79 to work and just ripping around the area as I please not caring about fuel consumption. I am now getting 27-28 mpg. The 1 to 2 mpg that I was saving griving like granny to me was not worth it. I am fed up with trying to get in the 30's and even tho many people say that are consistantly getting 30+ mpg, there are far more that are not. The only time I ever got over 30mpg was on an all highway trip where I got 34 mpg.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Rocket, don't feel bad man, I usually get aroud 29 MPG and that is driving like granny around the wesern Pittsburgh area. I have decided that i will no longer drive like granny and I have been doing my 60-75 mph down 79 to work and just ripping around the area as I please not caring about fuel consumption. I am now getting 27-28 mpg. The 1 to 2 mpg that I was saving griving like granny to me was not worth it. I am fed up with trying to get in the 30's and even tho many people say that are consistantly getting 30+ mpg, there are far more that are not. The only time I ever got over 30mpg was on an all highway trip where I got 34 mpg.
Cool, that's what I needed to hear! I thought there was something wrong with mine because of the low reading, but it must be typical...especially for us Western PA'ers!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Cool, that's what I needed to hear! I thought there was something wrong with mine because of the low reading, but it must be typical...especially for us Western PA'ers!
I am in the same boat. only get 30+ on highway

I get lower 20s as i drive mostly city miles. Plus i like to drive sometimes ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.