Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on not driving it for about a month and figure disconnecting the battery will stop any parasitic drain.

But this is my first high tech (read modern electronics) car and I'm not sure what the ramifications of that might be. I figure I'll have to reset the radio.

But does disconnecting the battery also reset the ECU? If so, what would that do?

Also, the battery is the original one. Amazing that it has lasted over 10 years.

Anyone out there have a battery over 10 years old in their Cobalt?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I plan on not driving it for about a month and figure disconnecting the battery will stop any parasitic drain.

But this is my first high tech (read modern electronics) car and I'm not sure what the ramifications of that might be. I figure I'll have to reset the radio.

But does disconnecting the battery also reset the ECU? If so, what would that do?

Also, the battery is the original one. Amazing that it has lasted over 10 years.

Anyone out there have a battery over 10 years old in their Cobalt?

Thanks!
With them being in the trunk they are shielded from the elements more and tend to last longer. My 7 year old battery sat for 4 months without even being started once during the winter with no problems

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Battery minder may be your best bet though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coby

Have a battery tender and plan on using it once I can park it in a place with an outlet. For now I've got it parked in a more remote location.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just leave it then, the car draws very little current from the battery at idle and should still be in top shape after a month. Alarm system, RCDLR and wake-up power should last way over 6 months on a good battery according to GM sales & services

·
Registered
266 Posts
my 06 had the original battery till last year, it wasnt even bad, i just wanted to replace it with a little bit bigger battery because i plan on changing the stereo out and want something newer. at one point mine sat for 3 months outside and didnt get touched and it started right up no problems with the old battery. you should be all good if its just a month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.