Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I saw a few threads of people wanting to do conversions from stock Cobalt LT/LS and even SS/NA or Supercharged brakes to the Brembo Front calipers the Cobalt SS Turbos have. I think my cobalt has crappy braking to begin with and thought it might be a possibility to switch over to the brembos with the right equipment.

Basically if anyone has done this or knows of it can you please tell me from the stock brakes if I need new lines, a hub spacer, and if it would be possible to keep the 4 lug nuts as opposed to switching to the standard 5. I just got new rims and tires that are 4 bolt only so I wouldn't do the conversion to have to change my rims out again.

Just looking to improve braking in the front mainly and thought new bigger calipers would do the trick if they work with my car.

Thanks - TIMMAE!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It's possible to do the switch, you would need the lines and spacers and brackets and what not. You would also need longer wheel studs. As far as keeping 4 lug, you could but you would have to have some rotors drilled for the bolt pattern

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

With that said, unless you track your car it really probably wouldn't be worth it. A good set of pads and rotors is all you need. Never had any issues with the stock brakes

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not sure the 15'' would clear the Brembos unless you move everything from the SS suspension front and rear Including the proportioning valve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the help and info on this. I have had a impala SS for a few years that I recently sold two years ago and from going now to just driving my cobalt all the time the braking I feel needs a upgrade. I know especially on the highways the braking just isn't where I'd like it to be to be safe when going 70 + and a smart car cuts you off only doing 40 lol not cool.

I will have to think about how much this would cost and if it really would be worth it.

Thanks - Tim

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I do believe the minimum you can run with the Brembos would be 17s. A friend of mine has a set of Saab 9-3 wheels on his SS/TC right now, and that is a tiiiight fitment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be great if mine would be able to fit. They are Konig 17x7 4x100 Offset 40 millimeters Backspace 5.57 inches Bore Diameter 73.1 millimeters.

I wouldn't mind putting a spacer on them to fit inline with the caliper and rotor.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
The stock 18s are a +42, so you have a couple mm extra there for brake clearance, but since it is a smaller wheel, you'll still have to test fit them (with redrilled rotors) to ensure they do clear the calipers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a plan hopefully in the next month or so I can see about getting them and what the all around costs would be.

Thanks everyone for your help ! I really appreciate it and glad I asked on here first

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Just to confirm, these are the Saab 9-3 wheels my buddy is running with his snow tires on his SS/TC

They are a 17x7.5" wheel, +41mm offset. Obviously, spoke design does play a part, but 17s with that amount of positive offset (or ideally, less) should clear.

I really do wish I could find a brake rotor that has a 4x100 pattern that would be close-enough (or identical) to the 5-lug rotor used with the Brembos. Would make for a much cheaper swap for myself to retain 4-lug.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Or that. Konig probably makes the same wheels in 5-lug.

I've honestly considered just doing that when it comes time to upgrade the brakes...if my tires are toast by then, it'd be a simple "fresh" start with new 045s, but on 5x110 instead of 4x100 and new tires.

Or I go the more difficult route and see if the TCE kit will work for 4 lug (it should). I like being difficult.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw Amazon has the brembos for around $180 a piece. I bought one for the drivers side I will mock it up to where it mounts and check without changing rotors if it is too close as is with my 4 lugs. The way my konig illusions are the rim spokes are curved outward rather than most that are just straight/flat from the center outward. That hopefully will help give me the space to clear the calipers. If not I will probably return the brembo caliper and think of getting bigger rims down the road when I need be. Basically all the parts together I would need rotors, calipers, bolts, brake lines, pads, shims, and brake fluid would be around $500 if I went the amazon route for the calipers first. The stealer would charge somewhere around $220 for each caliper even with my GM discount. Pays usually just to search around from the factory part numbers and find websites for each that would carry the items for a fraction of what the dealer wants.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so I got in contact with places that have the hub spacer to a-line the hub and rotor to the brembo calipers properly and all the other necessary parts to do this conversion. One question that I am still left with is where would you go to get the rotors re drilled from the factory SS TC 5 lug pattern to a 4 lug pattern? I saw some people on the forums state a machine shop but no luck yet finding any ones. Does anyone know of places that do drilling of rotors for new lug patterns? It would help a lot if anyone had any places because I usually do my own drilling and cutting but I do not want to do this particular project of re drilling because it has to be so precise.

Thanks

·
Registered
949 Posts
Or I go the more difficult route and see if the TCE kit will work for 4 lug (it should). I like being difficult.

...TCE kit?​

Does anyone know of places that do drilling of rotors for new lug patterns? It would help a lot if anyone had any places because I usually do my own drilling and cutting but I do not want to do this particular project of re drilling because it has to be so precise.

Thanks
I bet just about any local machine shop would be able to take care of it.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh my what to do. What to do.
Looks like I’m going to,need 4 ea 5 lug hubs for my little 4 lug LS and get the 18” SS wheels for the new tires.
And the proportioning valve. Was ABS standard on the SS?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will probably ditch the project for now. I appreciate the help. Must have called over 50 machine shops. Almost all said they couldn't do it for insurance reasons and only 4 got back to me with a yes but it was something insane like 350 a pair/job. I will just wait until I get a decent sale on 5 lug rims and do a conversion to that or just upgrade to a SS TC when I get the cash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.