Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pull my engine out to swap it. When I got it separated from the transmission i noticed then inner transmission is connected to the fly wheel. Does the mean the its seized I cannot pull the block off because the inner trans parts do not clear. I don't wanna take the tranny out.

·
Registered
2008 Cobalt LT & 2008 Cobalt LS
5 Posts
If this is an automatic, you need to remove the starter and unfasten the torque converter from the flexplate by rotating the crank by hand until you access all of the fasteners.
If it is a manual, you may have to get creative to get the input shaft to pull free from the pressure plate. You don't have a lot of room before you bump the right fender with the engine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The dowel pins, should be two, often seize up due to corrosion. About 70% of the time I’ve removed a transmission, I have to use a pry bar and shimmy the transmission off the engine. This goes for most any vehicle. Sometimes you get luck if the vehicle was garage kept and rarely driven in damp conditions. Most of the times it’s stuck.

Also make sure you haven’t missed any bolts. The torque converter will be bolted to the flex plate and has to be disconnected before the transmission will pull free of the engine. You have to get the those bolts off, there are 3, that attach the flex plate and torque converter. If not the transmission will not come off the engine. The bolts have to be accessed through the hole where the starter goes into. Starter must be removed anyway.

Also there is no mention to what car you are talking about. What year, engine, transmission being manual or automatic. Or even why you’re removing the transmission in the first place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts