Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We read about modern day automatic transmission and how they can learn a drivers habit and shift accordingly.

Is the Cobalt's auto trans that advance?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I doubt that as the Cobalt is the base model (econobox) car of GM. If any GM vehicles have that kind of transmission it would be on the Buicks or Cadillacs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i think that it is, its all in the computers really and wouldnt be expensive at all for gm to put that technology into a car. so yes i do believe that we have it

·
Registered
455 Posts
im pretty sure it is a smart transmission. thats why my girl hates driving it because i trained mine to shift at higher rpms then normal when i punch it. its all just in how you drive. im not sure how big a difference it actually makes or if its just something that looks cool to read on the window sticker in the dealership lol

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
GM has been producing cars with sealed auto trannies since the '90s. As long as you're under warranty it's great...I'd hate to NOT be able to check the tranny fluid when it will be on "my dime"!

·
Registered
317 Posts
so i did a tid bit of reserch, and i guess that a sealed transmission has no dipstick and the fluid is supposed to be in there for the lifetime of the vehicle. so that would be why it needs to get replaced if it leaks. i dont think i like this type of transmission......

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
As long as you keep an eye out for tranny leaks you'll be ok...auto trannies have come a long way. Heat and age are the biggest problems; occasionaly a part breaks though. Seals begin to dry out and crack in around 10-11 years with normal usage. I've had an auto tranny last me 27 years -- rebuilt it at 103,000 miles (tranny shop - front band broke) and 187,000 miles (myself-- 11 years after the first rebuild for reliability)...both times the neoprene piston seals were hard as model plastic and broke apart when you flexed/bent them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told by the Service Dept too, that it's sealed. No need to check. They will "check it" when it's time to service. If one is loosing trans fulid, then there is a problem - we all know that.

How lucky will be to catch it as it starts?

Not likely. Even the best of us, let's say check it every two weeks. Look fine on day 1. On day 3 a leak started, and the trans be gone on day 4. $3,000!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was told by the Service Dept too, that it's sealed. No need to check. They will "check it" when it's time to service. If one is loosing trans fulid, then there is a problem - we all know that.

How lucky will be to catch it as it starts?

Not likely. Even the best of us, let's say check it every two weeks. Look fine on day 1. On day 3 a leak started, and the trans be gone on day 4. $3,000!!!!
thats why i have 70k left on my warrenty

·
Registered
324 Posts
transmission is not sealed you can change the fluids in there and flush just like any other car. the add hole is right on top near the link is (on auto you cant miss it, its a small knob that looks like the top of your coolant tank) and to drain it you would have to unscrew the bottom transmission pan and let it drain that way. to fill to a proper level theres a bolt on the side of the transmission you take off and when you fill the fluid from the top, fluid runs out the side letting you know its at proper level then you close it up. when i added my trans cooler i had to add at least a little less then half trans fluid to make up for the dif. it is a smart trans cuz when im at the track ive never seen a trans that shift from first to second in low gear as mines does. or maybe i just never paid attention lol.
but yeah its not fluid sealed and can be flushed. I suggest you check your manuel for the right time to flush when the times comes and you will notice a dif when you do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've put 23,000 miles on mine and don't notice a difference from the first time I manually shifted it. It shifts just before redline every time. ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
When you manually shift it will always shift out of first at redline when in low. But when it is in drive the computer learns your driving habits and will adjust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.