Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologize if this has been covered already, but just wanted to ask if this Steering Recall is absolutely necessary to do? Our 2009 new XFE has been ABSOLUTELY perfect so far - no problems with steering or anything else, for that matter. We drive only around the town a bit - no highway or any long trips or such. (in a year, we put 2000 km so far - sill haven't changed the original oil :)

Thank you so much. And just to say it again: we are very,very pleased with our car, and we love it :love: !!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, yes, they do - i have received at least 3 letters so far - the last one in a bright orange colored envelope !!! :amazed:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
You can take your car in, they will write down the VIN, and place it on order, when it comes in they will make you an appointment to get it done. Or at least that's how it worked for me, even though I had the letters, they did not ask for them.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah I would consider it a must-do...
There have been a few wrecks because of the power steering going out while driving.
I had mine done last week. Took them like 45 mins max. Just take the letter to your local Chevy dealer and they will help you out :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Will they do it if your car is no longer stock?

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Apologize if this has been covered already, but just wanted to ask if this Steering Recall is absolutely necessary to do? Our 2009 new XFE has been ABSOLUTELY perfect so far - no problems with steering or anything else, for that matter. We drive only around the town a bit - no highway or any long trips or such. (in a year, we put 2000 km so far - sill haven't changed the original oil :)

Thank you so much. And just to say it again: we are very,very pleased with our car, and we love it :love: !!!
Yeah, you really need to get it done. The first time it goes out could be the time you have an accident. All GM will tell you then, is "we told you so." Oh, and your owners manual tells you that you MUST change your oil at least once a year no matter the mileage.

Will they do it if your car is no longer stock?
Yes, unless you have modified the steering wheel shaft or the original electric motor.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I never got a letter since I bought mine from a Ford dealership, so I'm not even sure if mine is involved in the recall or not...I keep forgetting to go find out but the GM dealership is usually closed when I get off work, and the service department isn't opened on Saturdays

·
Registered
85 Posts
After 3 trips to the dealership, I have yet to get my recall fixed.

First trip they told me that I had to leave my car there for a day and I couldn't do that cause I had school the next day.

Second trip, had my dad drop me off at school where he took it, and they told him that the parts aren't in and it's going to take another week.

Third trip, they told me that they will just call me in.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
^^^^ Wow... I think I would go to a different dealership, in another town if need be. I would not want a place like that working on my ride if they cannot even get the parts in correctly.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would go ahead and get it done, it only takes about 2 hours tops. Better safe than sorry and in a wreck.
2hrs?????????????? mine took 5 min

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I never got a letter since I bought mine from a Ford dealership, so I'm not even sure if mine is involved in the recall or not...I keep forgetting to go find out but the GM dealership is usually closed when I get off work, and the service department isn't opened on Saturdays
Email the dealership. Most dealerships have a website.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oy Vey...

It's a safety recall, don't be stupid, get it done.

There are several websites out there with information on the recall. The recall is for all cobalts 2005-2009 and some 2010 depending on when they were manufactured.

The recall notice that is online includes a phone number to call, call the phone number, they will make sure it hasn't been done already. They will then help you setup the appointment at a dealer.

You go to the dealer, you drink some coffee, etc, 45minutes-1.5 hours later you drive out without spending a dime (unless you want an oil change like I did).

If you had to have this replaced before the recall you can get your $800+ refunded.

If you haven't had this done, WTF is wrong with you, this is an $800.00+ repair I have heard, you get to have it done for free, and you get to have it done before it fails and causes an accident.

Don't make me come smack you around, just get it done.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Here is why you should get the recall done:

This car belonged to a friend of the wife's, their 16 yr old daughter was driving. It was her fault even though the car was at fault. So her insurance went up, the daughter was slightly injured, fortunately it was in parking lot where there were no high speeds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.