Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm, that's good if it's not, thx.

perhaps i should ask this question in a new thread, but here's why i'm thinking of getting this SS center console for my LS:

i have a stock SS shift knob and boot, and can't fit the boot unless i get the wider SS console. however, after removing my LS knob to look at how to connect the SS shift knob, i can't figure out how to get it to fit, as the LS stick seems to be a different fitting. any ideas on a part/s i could get to have it fit?? otherwise, if there's no way to have it fit, i'll just have to ditch the whole project and try and get an aftermarket knob and boot....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The SS/SC and SS/TC shifters use reverse lock out. The F23 does not.

The LS shifter is held on by little tabs that lock around a raised point on the shaft. The SS is a press fit (for 05 at least).

For the LS, I'd reccommend using either a Cavalier short shifter or one of TWM's shifters. TBH, I wish I could use the LS console on my SS. The cupholder on the SS sucks balls. There isn't a liner in the SS cupholders and the hole and cupholder itself are different on the SS, So I couldn't use the LS style. To make it even worse, the SS ones have two different sized cup diameters, so in the driver side one, my bottle doesn't even fit, and in the other side, it just slides around and then flops over right into my shifter hand.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SS/SC and SS/TC shifters use reverse lock out. The F23 does not.

The LS shifter is held on by little tabs that lock around a raised point on the shaft. The SS is a press fit (for 05 at least).

For the LS, I'd reccommend using either a Cavalier short shifter or one of TWM's shifters. TBH, I wish I could use the LS console on my SS. The cupholder on the SS sucks balls. There isn't a liner in the SS cupholders and the hole and cupholder itself are different on the SS, So I couldn't use the LS style. To make it even worse, the SS ones have two different sized cup diameters, so in the driver side one, my bottle doesn't even fit, and in the other side, it just slides around and then flops over right into my shifter hand.
hey thanks Night for all of that info - good to know about the console cupholders and all. from your opinions on it, i'm thinking i should probably save my money from the console and put it towards a short shifter.

just to double check, the short shifter is something that would allow me to hookup the stock SS shift knob, correct? (not the stock boot tho obviously as the LS console hole would still not be big enough for it).

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

oh and hey, in case the stock SS knob just won't work even w/ a new short shifter, if any of ya know of shift knobs made for the LS (last i checked TWM only makes them for the SS) i'd appreciate some info on that.

sorry for all the questions, folks :push:

·
Registered
197 Posts
hey thanks Night for all of that info - good to know about the console cupholders and all. from your opinions on it, i'm thinking i should probably save my money from the console and put it towards a short shifter.

just to double check, the short shifter is something that would allow me to hookup the stock SS shift knob, correct? (not the stock boot tho obviously as the LS console hole would still not be big enough for it).

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

oh and hey, in case the stock SS knob just won't work even w/ a new short shifter, if any of ya know of shift knobs made for the LS (last i checked TWM only makes them for the SS) i'd appreciate some info on that.

sorry for all the questions, folks :push:
Why are you so intent on using the stock shift knob from an SS? The shift pattern on the knob won't even be the one you use as you drive. You can get way cleaner looking shift knobs from TWM or ebay even. The SS knob is just a POS just like the stock LS knob

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you so intent on using the stock shift knob from an SS? The shift pattern on the knob won't even be the one you use as you drive. You can get way cleaner looking shift knobs from TWM or ebay even. The SS knob is just a POS just like the stock LS knob
i am trying to keep the car looking more stock if possible w/ the shift knob, thus the stock SS knob. and the SS shift knob does actually have the same shift pattern, so no problem there. so, i'm trying to find a way to use it, and if not, then i will go the way of an aftermarket knob.
and it's just personal preference, but i rather like the stock SS knob just b/c i like leather (tho yeah, arguably it is more like pleather) knobs better for their grip, and it's harder to find aftermarket knobs like that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i am trying to keep the car looking more stock if possible w/ the shift knob, thus the stock SS knob. and the SS shift knob does actually have the same shift pattern, so no problem there. so, i'm trying to find a way to use it, and if not, then i will go the way of an aftermarket knob.
and it's just personal preference, but i rather like the stock SS knob just b/c i like leather (tho yeah, arguably it is more like pleather) knobs better for their grip, and it's harder to find aftermarket knobs like that.
it can't have the same shift pattern. SS cobalts have reverse lockout and SIX gears not FIVE.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The SS knob is just a POS just like the stock LS knob
Pretty much. They have a bad habit of the metal getting soft and then making it where the knob will not stay attached to the shaft. I'm on my second knob since it popped off while I was trying to shift into second pulling out of work. I had to drive with the reverse lock out coupler.

Anyways, the SS knob probably won't fit TWM's shifter since TWM uses a screw on style of knob. The SS knob uses verticle splines that the metal in the ss knob is supposed to be pressed onto. As I said, it has a nasty habit of getting loose and the knob falls off.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

it can't have the same shift pattern. SS cobalts have reverse lockout and SIX gears not FIVE.
The F35-MU3 is a 5 speed + reverse transmission. The only way a F35-MU3 has 6 foward gears is if someone installed Quaife's gear set to convert it to a six speed.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
The plastic peice you are refering to dos appear to be broken or shorter than it should be on the left side of it, however, the plastic peice that covers over the ebrake overlaps this and then from there may cover up the broken piece if it is in deed broken.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pretty much. They have a bad habit of the metal getting soft and then making it where the knob will not stay attached to the shaft. I'm on my second knob since it popped off while I was trying to shift into second pulling out of work. I had to drive with the reverse lock out coupler.

Anyways, the SS knob probably won't fit TWM's shifter since TWM uses a screw on style of knob. The SS knob uses verticle splines that the metal in the ss knob is supposed to be pressed onto. As I said, it has a nasty habit of getting loose and the knob falls off.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

The F35-MU3 is a 5 speed + reverse transmission. The only way a F35-MU3 has 6 foward gears is if someone installed Quaife's gear set to convert it to a six speed.
thx for clearing that up about the 5-speed vs. 6-speed. i was about to post a pic to settle that dispute heh.

and thanks VERY much, your info on the knob's cheapness has been great, man. i guess i'll just have to turn around and sell the boot and knob to someone looking for a replacement.

The plastic peice you are refering to dos appear to be broken or shorter than it should be on the left side of it, however, the plastic peice that covers over the ebrake overlaps this and then from there may cover up the broken piece if it is in deed broken.
thx. from what i've been finding out about the stock SS knob and lack of possibility of it fitting, i let the seller know i was no longer interested in the console.

aftermarket, here i come.

now, forgive this shifter noob --- what do i look for to make sure i have a knob that WILL fit the stock LS stick? neither screw on or splines seem to apply as the knob of the LS just basically twists and slides out...

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

continuing that thread, would an adapter kit like this be what i need?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
thx for clearing that up about the 5-speed vs. 6-speed. i was about to post a pic to settle that dispute heh.

and thanks VERY much, your info on the knob's cheapness has been great, man. i guess i'll just have to turn around and sell the boot and knob to someone looking for a replacement.

thx. from what i've been finding out about the stock SS knob and lack of possibility of it fitting, i let the seller know i was no longer interested in the console.

aftermarket, here i come.

now, forgive this shifter noob --- what do i look for to make sure i have a knob that WILL fit the stock LS stick? neither screw on or splines seem to apply as the knob of the LS just basically twists and slides out...

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

continuing that thread, would an adapter kit like this be what i need?
Personally I would probably run a short throw setup. Most STS shifters are threaded, so they'll take many styles of aftermarket knobs.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I bought a shifter that came with adapters, and even the biggest one was a lil too small, so i used a rubber mallet to "slide" on the shift knob, and i put a boot on with a metal ring at the top and stuck the ring to the bottom of the knob with epoxy. It works for now lol

I had made a thread before asking about shift knobs and boots for my LS, but no one was any help, they just told me to buy a shift boot from the vendor on here that is like 60$ or something.... And im not skilled enough to modify anything to make one fit. So maybe ill do it proper when i can get someone to help me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.