Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2005 Cobalt ls 2.2 sedan. It has been running smooth as silk. So yesterday while i'm at work my girlfriend went to start it and it wouldn't start, it needed a jump. She sought the help of a guy who jumped it for her and he drove off into the sunset after it was started. It runs smooth at idle, like there is no issues. However while driving, it will shift into first and second but that's all, not into third. Also the odometer doesn't work now, on the digital readout on my dash some of the numbers or letters have been replaced with a hyphen or hyphens, also on that digital readout it states power steering. I have already changed my power steering 2 times and it has worked great for the past 4 years. I have had NO transmission issues Ever. I regret to admit i realized last night that the battery is the same one that came from the factory.

So far i have removed the positive and negative off the battery for over 10 mins, to "reset the computer" and nothing changed.
i have switched the relay for the "power-train" with the one from my "rear defrost" to see if it was the relay, but nothing changed
(however i remembered as i'm writing this that my rear defrost hasn't worked for a year or so, maybe that relay was bad? idk)

What should i do?
where should i start looking first?
I just want to thank y'all in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like the car is in limp mode. Check the ECM/TCM fuse on BCM fuse block.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Try doing a computer reset (unhooking the negative battery terminal for 20 minutes (30 if you really want to make sure it reset lol), and hooking it back up. Start it and let it run until NOT (Normal Operating Temperature). If things are still messed up, I'd say there is a bad fuse or short somewhere. We can help diagnose further after the ECU reset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i took it off for over 30 mins, put them back on the battery and still i'm having the same issue.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I'll check the fuses when i get home. I had a buddy do the battery thing while I was working today. I hope its a fuse...

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Definitely check the fuses, on any jump start a surge of power like that is well known to blow fuses. If all your fuses are good (I wouldn't think that they would be fine), then you have other issues at hand lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.