Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s not the end of the world, but it’s annoying. Sometimes the power locks work completely fine, other times they only half work. No matter what, the doors locks always get power when they are supposed to, they just don’t always lift/lower the locks all the way. It isn’t just when I press the lock/unlock button, when I shift into/out of park it’s the same issue. I don’t have a key fob so I can’t check to see if that would be any different with that. When it happens when unlocking, when I try to open the door it only opens the first latch; I have to unlock it by hand to actually open the door. When locking the doors it just doesn’t depress it far enough to lock the doors. It’s not just one door either; sometimes it’s enough to lock/unlock one door but not the other. Also, if I put the car in park it unlocks the doors (or at least tries), but if I immediately put it back into a gear (it auto locks it) and then back in park, it always only half unlocks to doors. I think I’ve checked all the fuses and they’re fine (maybe I missed one?) But since they always get power my thought is that the system just isn’t always sending enough power to the doors. That’s just a guess and have no idea what could cause it. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My guess is the 2 blue/grey connectors on the BCM. I never remember which is which so just pull both and spray them with contact cleaner then re-seat them a few times. This should remove any resistance between contacts and send more voltage to the solenoids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if cleaning the BCM doesn't help, just buy some new Dorman switches on ebay and replace both drivers and passengers side. my daughter has an '08 also, and they were acting the same way as yours...but once replaced, they both work great...there must be something about the way it was electrically engineered that makes the switches fail over time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.