Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got an 05 L61 Cobalt in a weird mishap. Anyways, I never own anything stock and I am extremely well versed in forced induction due to the fact that I built a 95 Talon TSI pushing 339fwhp and then I had a barely tweaked 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro that I literally just sold yesterday. So without further delay this is my cobalt.
Kinda stock right now
IMG_20121010_124344.jpg

De-Badged
IMG_20121010_124400.jpg

K&N Typhoon (only because the AEM is back ordered....)
IMG_20121010_124334.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaded third brake and side markers not doing the tail lights just waiting for good LED's or something but I'm working on something fancy for the bow tie but i'm not sure what yet....next mods are either one of the following groups head/tail lights, tint, lowered/rims or manifold back exhaust from DC or ZZP and a tune by the time i'm done messing around those choices are pretty close to the same total when all done so gimme some ideas guys I'm undecided on my next move

Attachments

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
You should post all of this in ther regular forum, no one really uses the premium sections anymore.

As for suggestions, I'd lower it and get your exhaust...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can a mod move this for me to like a build thread section or the showoff so i wont have to Re-Do the whole thing?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Gmpp catback with zzp header and highflow cat. Fe5 shocks and struts, with ssc springs

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cat+Cat-back idea

Magnaflow Muffler model number 14820, I can go smaller on size but I want the straight through cannon style, 2.5 inch piping in between with a high flow cat, and quite possibly a good manifold, possibly a thrush glasspack as a resonator to make sure my sound is deep and low, not crotch rocket ricey sounding.Let me know what you guys think and yes, i have looked at ALL and I do mean ALL companies offering pre-mades for the car and I hate how the tips look on the car plus I only found 1/50 videos on youtube that had the sound i wanted and even then its not a guarantee because of a/v quality or whatever else may alter the sound in a video so i'm trying this my way and if it works then sweet and we can all have a sweet idea of our own custom exhausts if not then oh well i tried and i'll get something else later

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Good start, and I wish I knew a bit more about turbo systems. I read a bunch of thread, and have asked some questions about things. I want to go turbo, mainly I don't know where to start. I'd like to just be able to buy a full kit put it on tune and be done with it. I'm pretty good with mechanics and I think I could install it with a bit of help from some people that know what they are dong, but the kits that are sold for our cars are pretty pricey. Everyone says piece it together, but thats when I just kinda shrug my shoulders, and give up since I don't know what all I need to do it right and I've never done it or helped do it before.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

As for the AEM intake. I had one, but where it feeds into the fender well, it started rubbing, and rubbed a hole it. I had no clue untill I took out my headlights to change the bulbs about a year back. I wrapped it and used a silcone coupler to cover, and it work like a charm. If i ever get rid of it, I think I'll be going with an SRI, Like K&N or the Injen CAI that can convert to SRI.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a forced induction pro (self proclaimed lol) but owning a DSM I kinda had to learn things the hard way because DSM's are very very high maintenance vehicles but the turbo platform is by far my favorite i ended up with a 2.2 cobalt by circumstance to help my dad out (long story) but its very very easy to piece together and make your own kit and if you're mechanically inclined you could do it i've thought about it myself but IMO if you are going that route beef up your internals just as a precaution and my rule of thumb is if you're shooting for 300 fwhp then get items rated for 500 so you know its a solid build everything will be pricey but definitely check into it to give yourself an idea it will be a long and expensive journey but i promise you having the starting N/A displacement plus adding 8-10 pounds of boost will make your car a monster on the street and a contender at a track

·
Registered
922 Posts
Being that this is my 3rd car, none of which were turbo'd, and neither had/have over 150HP, I'd be happy with a turbo set up that get me to roughly 250. Well I guess, until it got old, but at that point, the basics will already be there and adding more power would only be a matter of swapping something out and retuning. I've also never torn down an engine and done internals either, but again I think with bit of help and push in the right direction I could do it. There also comes the issue of my car being my DD, and my wife uses her car as DD, so I'd have to go get a beater car to and from work, or buy a seperate engine and build it out side of the car. I think my projects will have to wait until I have a garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.