Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original thread was closed, and I'm not here to rekindle old questions. But here's what I found.

About 2 years ago, I was asking about getting a jet chip for my 06 LS coupe, but it has the side to side connector configuration and the chip was only meant to fit on a top to bottom configuration. I called JETCHIP and he told me that they were developing one for the side to side. Also, soon after, they took the chip off their website for the 2006 cobalt.

Fast forward to last week. I went on their site and the chip is back up for sale! I e-mailed them asking if this for the side to side or if it's still the same one as they've always had. No response:notrust:

Anyone know if they fixed the design of the chip, or did they just put it back up for the heck of it?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just as everyone else has said...
I would just rather get a trifecta tune

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The jet performance module isn't a chip...Dudes. It does work and I enjoyed having it on my 07 SS/NA because it got rid of the lag inherent on the 2.4L below 4 grand. It does not make the car into a "racecar" but did shave .3 seconds off my 1/8 mile times (10.07 @ 74MPH). Without it I would have been the slowest NA car at the dragstrip the day I ran it.

The best thing about the Jet Performance MODULES is that they can simply be removed when you need to - you can't do that with a "tune".

Again the Jet Peformance MODULES aren't chips -- they are RSCI (correct spelling is RISC) computers that have fuel and timing mapping -- stop giving them a "bad rap" until you learn more. They've been in business since the '80s -- if their modules were junk they would be out of business. Magazines that have tested their MODULES usually stated they did provide a performance gain. They were the first to offer tunes for the earlier GM ECUs.

If I were to buy another NA Cobalt I wouldn't hesitate to get another Jet MODULE...and that's the truth!

I don't bad-mouth other tunes -- like Trifecta -- simply because I have no experience with them and therefore don't make negative statements because I don't know.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
As the OP stated the problem was with the different ECMs used on the 2.2 cars -- even the SS/NA has different ECMs -- specifically the way that the wire connectors are attached to the ECM.

There are ECMs that have the connections like this:
----- ------ < two side-side connectors
The ones the Jet Performance module fits looks like this:
-----
------ < two top-bottom connectors
..or This:
-----
------
------ < three top-to-bottom connectors

Part of the "name" problem is they started out as Jet Chip Performance...so people assume you are talking about one of those resister chips sold on ebay...LoL! Back in the '80s they were removable PROMS on the car's engine computer.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Chip == Module. Synonyms for the same thing. The junk shit on ebay is a resistor/TPS enhancer.

JET is a piggy back system. A Piggy back system functions by decieving the PCM into thinking the parameters from its sensors are different than it actually is. Generally they force the car into thinking that intake temps and airflow are different than they actually are. When the PCM sees the false inputs from the JET "module", it dials the AFR to match what it thinks is going on. The problem with this is that it causes the AFR to go to hell and will cause the car to run either insanely rich or retardedly lean depending on the actual conditions. The Jet Module would make your car run anything but a Stoichiometric mix. If your car decides to run too rich, you'll burn up your O2 sensors and Cat. Too lean, and well... prepare to see a melted piston.

Trifecta and other PCM tunes (HP Tuners...etc) are the correct and proper methods of doing things. What a tune does is actually change the fuel tables and timing maps inside the PCM itself. That way, the PCM is actually getting the real information it needs from the sensors and then doing what the new fuel tables and timing maps tell it to do for the inputs it gets from its sensors. Also, a good tuner can take data logs and tune specificially for your vehicle and your modifications list.

For the money, Trifecta is the best value. it is only $250 and Vince personally will work with you to optimize the tune. Is it really worth the 20-30 bucks you'll save by half assing it and using a piggy back chip?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Chip == Module. Synonyms for the same thing.

JET is a piggy back system. A Piggy back system functions by decieving the PCM into thinking the parameters from its sensors are different than it actually is. Generally they force the car into thinking that intake temps and airflow are different than they actually are. When the PCM sees the false inputs from the JET "module", it dials the AFR to match what it thinks is going on. The problem with this is that it causes the AFR to go to hell and will cause the car to run either insanely rich or retardedly lean depending on the actual conditions. The Jet Module would make your car run anything but a Stoichiometric mix. FALSE

Trifecta and other PCM tunes (HP Tuners...etc) are the correct and proper methods of doing things. What a tune does is actually change the fuel tables and timing maps inside the PCM itself. That way, the PCM is actually getting the real information it needs from the sensors and then doing what the new fuel tables and timing maps tell it to do for the inputs it gets from its sensors. Also, a good tuner can take data logs and tune specificially for your vehicle and your modifications list.

For the money, Trifecta is the best value. it is only $250 and Vince personally will work with you to optimize the tune. Is it really worth the 20-30 bucks you'll save by half assing it and using a piggy back chip?
It is a RSCI computer (PROM) that has fuel mapping and timing mapping. It does interscept the signals from the sensors but it sends out signals based on the mapping Jet Chip Performance created -- the same way the factory does. There is no "trickery". Chip DOES NOT EQUAL Jet's MODULE!

...and don't forget that a "tune" can be diagnosed and if you have an engine problem your warranty can be gone if the technician finds the ECM has been tuned. How much will you save if you have to pay for an engine out of your own pocket?

Read up about these Jet modules in the magazines that have tested them. There have been quite a few through the years.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It is a RSCI compter (PROM) that has fuel mapping and timing mapping. It does interscept the signals from the sensors but it sends out signals based on the mapping Jet Chip Performance created -- the same way the factory does. There is no "trickery".
It is still tricking the stock PCM into thinking the inputs are different than they actually are. You just said it yourself. The actual sensor input your PCM sees is not what it actually is. Since the Jet Module has to do its own processing at first, there is always going to be latency between the sensor and the PCM adjustment since the Jet chip has to do the processing first. The PCM was meant to do its adjustments on the fly, not with lag. Given how many times the engine cycles in such a short timeframe, a mere milliseconds of lag can do irrepairable damage.

Plus anyways, automotive magazines are not unbiased. These magazines are out to make money, so they're not going to write a bad review if Jet pays them some money.

As far as the "warranty" thing. GM Techs are not water heads by any means. They'll know right off the bat that your pistons didn't melt from the stock tune. There are numerous TSBs out there for the dealerships to identify the signs of damage done by anything done to the PCM, whether it be an actual PCM tune, or a Chip/Piggyback. Generally if you want to do any powertrain modifications, be prepared for you to not have a warranty if it leads to the damage.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It is still tricking the stock PCM into thinking the inputs are different than they actually are. You just said it yourself. The actual sensor input your PCM sees is not what it actually is. Since the Jet Module has to do its own processing at first, there is always going to be latency between the sensor and the PCM adjustment since the Jet chip has to do the processing first. The PCM was meant to do its adjustments on the fly, not with lag. Given how many times the engine cycles in such a short timeframe, a mere milliseconds of lag can do irrepairable damage.

Plus anyways, automotive magazines are not unbiased. These magazines are out to make money, so they're not going to write a bad review if Jet pays them some money.
With what you just wrote I now understand you don't know what you are talking about...RSCIs are unbelievably fast -- faster than the factory ECM. Read up on RSCIs. It is not tricking the ECM (were talking about the 2.2 not the 2.0 PCM) the module has it's own data to send out appropriate signals for fuel and timing -- from the mapping inplanted on it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've checked my IT literature. Not a single mention of anything regarding RSCI. Hell, I've even checked Google and Bing just to make sure. Nothing. Probably just a marketing term (The Advertising department loves making up acronyms).

I believe you fail to understand electronics. Just because this so-called "RSCI" chip you speak of is "faster" than the processing unit in the GM PCM, it doesn't mean that there is a lack of latency when it is introduced into the system. It still has to take its time to do its processing first before sending the distorted signals onto the PCM. That is, unless JET somehow figured out a way to break the very laws of time and actually create a chip that can do its job without requiring any time to do it. But if that was the case, JET wouldn't be making PCM piggybacks if it had the ability to tell time to go **** itself.

Anyways, in addition, a piggyback will NOT do certain things that a tune will. If you use a piggyback, you're still stuck with the stock rev limiter, speed limiter and O/S. Hell, Trifecta has even figured out how to load the GM Stage 3 LSJ tune onto a stock LSJ PCM (No need for the new one that GM usually sells) and even remove GM's annoying lockout of the Air Conditioning.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've checked my IT literature. Not a single mention of anything regarding RSCI. Hell, I've even checked Google and Bing just to make sure. Nothing. Probably just a marketing term (The Advertising department loves making up acronyms).

I believe you fail to understand electronics. Just because this so-called "RSCI" chip you speak of is "faster" than the processing unit in the GM PCM, it doesn't mean that there is a lack of latency when it is introduced into the system. It still has to take its time to do its processing first before sending the distorted signals onto the PCM. That is, unless JET somehow figured out a way to break the very laws of time and actually create a chip that can do its job without requiring any time to do it. But if that was the case, JET wouldn't be making PCM piggybacks if it had the ability to tell time to go **** itself.

Anyways, in addition, a piggyback will NOT do certain things that a tune will. If you use a piggyback, you're still stuck with the stock rev limiter, speed limiter and O/S. Hell, Trifecta has even figured out how to load the GM Stage 3 LSJ tune onto a stock LSJ PCM (No need for the new one that GM usually sells) and even remove GM's annoying lockout of the Air Conditioning.
You couldn't find it because I spelled it wrong...RISC...and probably didn't know what I was talking about since you don't know computers -- I was trying to remember how to spell it because you say "Rizzee":
RISC - Free Computer Science Tutorials - Provided by Laynetworks.com

What's with your ***itself comment? Let me get this straight...you'd rather pay a company $500 to $600 for a tune and PDA. You get said PDA and plug it in to your ECM. A light changes and you unplug it and them mail back the PDA to get $200-$300 back. What exactly did you buy? 7 more HP -- an amount so small you can't really feel it with the Butt dyno? In truth people who order a "tune" get it in the mail after work and install it in the evening and then drive it when the air temperature has dropped so they "feel" more performance. I think the proper use of your comment would be perfect here as in you just got ****ed with nothing tangible -- no touch, no smell, no mass, nothing to hold...at least with a Jet MODULE I can install it, remove it and reinstall it (or sell it , which I did when I sold my Cobalt). By removing it I could really tell the difference after having it installed. Can you prove the "tune" really works...nope.

I have no connection to Jet Performance but I have used their products in GN/T-Types and my Cobalt and they worked. I still will use them because their products have worked for me before.

BTW there is no correlation with selling tunes and promoting them is there? How about not wanting to embarrass oneself after spending $250 for a "tune" and not really feeling a difference...things that make you go HMMMMMM.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.