Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An alternative to tuning (if you don't know how or don't have anyone that knows how to tune) is the Jet Performance Module. They have stage 1 and stage 2 modules for the 2.2L and 2.4L. I purchased a 2.4L stage 1 module from JEGS ($239) and installed it yesterday. The install instructions are just a generic GM module install and leads you to think the module attaches to the bottom connector -- it goes in the middle of the three connectors. The C1 connector is the smaller top connector, C2 is the middle connector (use this one), and the C3 connector is on the bottom. The C2 and C3 connectors are 73 pin each. One major advantage of the module is that you can take it off and resell it if you trade in or sell your Cobalt -- can't do that with a "tune". "IF" you can find someone that is truly able to tune your Cobalt that probably is the best, the Jet Performance module makes the "average" owner a "tuner".

After install I noticed right away that it runs richer -- can smell it -- and the throttle response out-of-gear (auto) is quicker. Driving the car I get more off-the-line wheel spin then before and the acceleration feels better at part throttle for sure. It seems to go through the gears quicker but I can't prove that yet. Fuel economy hasn't suffered -- my DIC is recording better MPG then before (27.1 Vs 26.9 in-town stop and go driving).

Anyway, for those of you like me -- tuning impaired -- this Jet performance module could be your answer.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/photoplog/index.php?n=313

·
Registered
594 Posts
I plan on getting the stage 2 actually,next month,it suppose to run real well with any other aftermarket part on the vehicle,even if it has a supercharger or a turbo,

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on getting the stage 2 actually,next month,it suppose to run real well with any other aftermarket part on the vehicle,even if it has a supercharger or a turbo,
Stage 2 is only ~$10 more. Since 95%+ of my driving is 45MPH or less I went with the stage 1.

If you do get the stage 2 make sure to post about it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I will for sure,I know they have mass air sensor from jet chip that is suppose to work well with the chip,but I dont know

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will for sure,I know they have mass air sensor from jet chip that is suppose to work well with the chip,but I dont know
Right, Jet has a "high Performance" MAF available too. I'm not ready for that yet...the stage 1 module has provided some decent performance gains I can feel. Now I don't fear having a 2.2L next to me at a light;):D

·
Registered
594 Posts
hahah,I might get the high performance sensor,since it should work well with the jet chip stage 1 and 2,I will be getting that chip though,when I order my downpipe next week,I already have the header.I was looking trying to find someone build me a custom downpipe but no luck where I am located,When I get those two parts out of the way then comes next the chip,that should be a nice way of gaining some power.I believe from the stage 1 and 2 you gain about 10 to 15hp

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A high flow MAF is like a high flow cat. Damn near pointless.
I talked to a technician at Jet about their "High Performance" MAF (not High Flow MAF). He said it is designed for faster throttle response. I'm not ready to get one as I'm enjoying the Module -- but maybe down the road I'll try it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well then you will have to let us know how it goes because I just don't see the point in it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
well at least we know the chip works,but since he has stage 1,I wonder if there will be a difference from stage 2 possible an extra 2hp?

·
Registered
869 Posts
With a difference of ten bucks it probably won't be anything noticeable, probably just a few percent higher afr.

·
Registered
594 Posts
actually whats funny is I found the stage 2 on ebay for 239 dollars I believe

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
actually whats funny is I found the stage 2 on ebay for 239 dollars I believe
Unless it's a known company I'd be wary of buying an electronic device off ebay.

Buy a Jet module from JEGS or Summit -- I think they would provide a replacement if you had a problem.

Red07SSNA added 6 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

With a difference of ten bucks it probably won't be anything noticeable, probably just a few percent higher afr.
I was told this is not just a "resistor" that fools the ECM into "shooting more gas". It has tables in it that advance the ignition and increase the amount of fuel depending on speed (VSS), throttle position, and sensor input (H02S and MAF). If this is correct then it is a true "piggyback". I'm hoping that in the future they learn how to control the VVT and really wake this engine up!

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah I'm going to order it directly through jetchip.com either way,I could actually talk to one of the guys that work there to make sure I get the right shit lol

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check out the prices -- I think my stage 1 module directly from Jetchip would have been over $300. JEGS had it listed for $239. $251 shipped.

I called Jetchip to insure I got the right one from JEGS too...lol!

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah I see that its listed for 239,but I wonder if they have the stage 2 from Jegs,my always tells me to go to jegs because they have tons of good stuff for a reasonable price

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang It Why Did You Have To Start This Thread!!! Why Not Just Keep It A Secret Cause Now Im Gonna Buy One!!!
:D:confused::)I thought this forum was to inform all Cobalt owners not only of what's available but whether or not it actually works...lol If it didn't work I'd warn owners too!

·
Registered
265 Posts
:D:confused::)I thought this forum was to inform all Cobalt owners not only of what's available but whether or not it actually works...lol If it didn't work I'd warn owners too!
We appreciate that greatly...

·
Registered
159 Posts
To run a Stage 2 you must have a free flowing exhaust, 180 degree thermostat...but it's cool cuz our cars come with a 180 degree thermostat from the factory and that's pretty much it. With the Stage 2 it's a gain of about 25hp so it says. I was lookin at these at work (Advance Auto Parts) and it was pretty much competitive with the prices ya'll are mentioning and I don't have to pay shipping. But I was also lookin that SuperChips makes a plug-n-play for our cars as well....just have to specify the year and what not. I think that's pretty cool. I'm gonna investigate more into that one.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.