Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 2.2 timing tensioner blew and screwed the motor, found a 06 2.2 im assuming it should be a easy swap? but my main question, is i have a 5 speed standard transmission and the motor im looking to buy tomorrow is coming from a automatic. is there any extra things that would need to be done besides bolt on and go due to the different trans?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
06 will not fit an 07 without changing all the modules. Not recommended.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hate to ask the stupid question, obviously the 07 will fit, does any other year or make(g5 and ion) fit without having to change stuff

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Hate to ask the stupid question, obviously the 07 will fit, does any other year or make(g5 and ion) fit without having to change stuff
Yes I believe the 08 G5 2.2l will fit. Make sure the engine has individual ignition coils and cam sensor on only the exhaust cam.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do, I was also looking at local scrapyards and one of the options when looking through they're inventory was w air check valve(California), w/o air check valve but drilled and tapped exhaust manifold for air check valve, and finally w/o air Check valve and not drilled or tapped for air check valve, how can I know what I have in the car now or does that not really matter my car was bought new from buffalo New York. And just to confirm to, I'm safe to buy an engine from an automatic even tho I have a standard, my buddy wasnt sure he was talking about something like a pilot bearing or something could possibly be different?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes I believe the 08 G5 2.2l will fit. Make sure the engine has individual ignition coils and cam sensor on only the exhaust cam.
07-08 g5 cobalt or ion should work.....it will have to be vin programed for the engine to start...thats what happened to my buddys cobalt....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Engine is the same manual or auto. Secondary Air intake engine will have a hose runing from intake to the exhaust through a valve.

Here is the difference between a 2006 and 2007 valve cover

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

2006 engine 2.2l

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

2007 has individual coil packs....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.