Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering lately, while my car is in for body work, about that 2.9L Vortec I4 motor that is in the Colorado's and Canyon's... I know it is a bit of a tall block, but maybe with some mods it might fit... just need to get a custom trans built probably or see if something will bolt up, I mean the 4L60E has a pretty common bell housing pattern, I'm sure something will work. Imagine ALL THAT TORQUE!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
its only got like 185 hp. not really worth the effort imo

·
Say What again!
6,014 Posts
Probably won't fit correctly...you mean the I5?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
They have a inline 5 cylinder...it's not a 4. It's quite a large block, it won't fit and for the trouble you'd go through you could supercharge or turbo your motor and yield better gains.

·
Say What again!
6,014 Posts
Yeah, I don't think the I5 will fit. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Still not worth it though. A sc or tc 2.4 will have WAY more power

·
Say What again!
6,014 Posts
Ah, yes, that engine.

Just go forced induction, I don't think it's worth the trouble.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Even still. I'd like to see someone try to stuff this boss azz thing in a Cobalt/G5.

It ain't happenin' just sayin'...unless you've got deep pockets to make something work that isn't worth it. Also, look at the oil filter placement...I'd like to see where you'd relocate the filter to just for starters...or when you'd be cuttin the front support to clear the alternator.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/500/09_2_9L_I4_VVT_LLV_CYN_LoR.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
wouldn't be a bad starter motor for a RWD project... I don't know if the I5 would fit though.
you have to break it down as time and money spent vs. performance. Its like building a Supra.. yeah its a great import but you can have a much faster stang or camaro and the engine will last much longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.