Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guten Tag, oder Guten Abend.

I was never a fan of these newer Cavaliers, ever, until I saw a 2006 in a junkyard 3 weeks ago. I flipped when I saw the manual transmission, and the room it had inside.

Backstory: I was on course to buy a 2000 Z24. I had got tired of spending money on my kids 2002 Cavalier, so I started looking. This Z24 was exactly everything that my new Cobalt was....except a manual and with 50k less miles. I got all the way up to the day(morning) I would drive 800 miles(each way) to grab it? Then in the shower, decided not to do it. I decided I wasn't going to put my wife's truck through the paces, to go get this Z24.

Now, I am a huge Firebird and Cavalier fan. My '82 Firebird was my love, my '98 Cavalier? Was my 2nd love. Both were 4 bangers and both were manuals. But, I digress.

When I saw that black '06 Cobalt in the junkyard? I just changed my stance. I have always hated Cobalts, almost purely based off of the headlights. The headlights compared to a Cavalier? Are crap, doesn't matter the year of Cavalier.

But after I scoped out that '06 Cobalt? I was in love with the other 95% of the car. So I started looking.

I managed to find an '08 LT Special Edition (not an SS :( )at $1,300 below current BB value and I grabbed it asap, and now it's mine. And I will build this thing up to the point, that it is the only Cobalt worth looking at in the lower 48. :p Watch out for me.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just acquired an '08 LT for my grandson for school. You will find the Cobalt to be a LOT less trouble than a Firebird. Since we all have Firebird scars, I am currently fixing up a 1995 Formula. I am about ready to set it on fire and walk away.
Actually? I'm a bit older then you might think. I bought my '82 Firebird in, I think '95? Might have been a year later. I was 17 when I started driving it. Anything after the early 2000's? Horrible to work on, everything old school? I die to work on, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just acquired an '08 LT for my grandson for school. You will find the Cobalt to be a LOT less trouble than a Firebird. Since we all have Firebird scars, I am currently fixing up a 1995 Formula. I am about ready to set it on fire and walk away.
And? My '82 Firebird was much easier to work on, given the space in the engine bay, compared to my '98 Cavalier and now my '08 Cobalt.....it was a 4 banger, plenty of space to work on the engine, just not the transmission lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the site (or, perhaps rather, Wilkommen?)!

That's funny - I have an '81 Z28 and my first car was an '86 IROC, and I also had a '98 Cavalier. Out of the three, the only manual is the '81 - the IROC had the 700R4 (mandatory with the LB9 TPI 305 in '85 and '86), and the Cav had the 3T40.
Ja, es ist Wilkommen. :)

I'm not native German, just learned some of my heritage.
That is funny on your Camaro loves. My old co-worker and friend is a Camaro freak. He tried to rebuild an 80 something Camaro but failed, and currently has a 2015 Camaro. I'm more of a Firebird fan, myself(Firehawk? Throw that shit in the trash, imo) . Though both were built on the same platforms. I'd sell all my vehicles to have an original Firebird.

My first cars are in order: '80 or '81 Chevette, '82 Firebird and '98 Cavalier, all manual and all 4 bangers, lmao. I paid in order: $300, $900 and then roughly $9k.

I grew up in the country during the '80s and '90s. Back then? Manuals were the common vehicles, automatics were the "luxury" types. Yeah, kind've flipped in the past 30 years, right? Lmao. I learned how to drive stick when I was 6 years old, so I could help on our farm, lmmfao.

During my high school years my "best friend" had a '90 or '91 6 banger Firebird( whichever year they changed up the front and back bumper style). His uncle had a '70 something 8 cylinder black Firebird, named "Black Gold", thing was badass.

But before I get too off topic? When I bought my '82 Knightrider Firebird? Every, and I mean every SINGLE person who asked what engine it had in it, said this and this includes my grandfather whom was a master mechanic for over 30 years: "What? I didn't know they made Firebirds with 4 cylinders!" No one could believe that a 4 banger in a Firebird could be so quick, lmao.

Wish I could get that car back, it was beautiful. : )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
God, I'd give anything to have your Firebird. They might be a pain? But compared to today's vehicles? Just something worth working on.

I wish I never did this, but back in 1999 or 2000 I gave up my '82. The heater core went out and my grandfather whom was a mechanic for over 30 years, told me what I would have to do to fix it. Not fun, and a pain unless(back then) I'd have to pay over $600 to have it fixed. Being in my early 20's? I parked it......and have regretted it ever since. Especially now, considering how much people want for even the bodies. And mine had T-Tops as well. :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts