Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes aunt just sold me her beater 09 cobalt for 100 bucks. 250,000+ miles, check engine light on, Misfiring on 2 cylinders, and her son has been driving it fairly regularly with the dummy light on for a while. I figured as long as it gets me around for a few months till I can stack a bit of cash for something better why not? I figure I'll run a compression/leak down test, check the plugs/coils, and check the fuel injectors etc. anything else I might wanna look into on it? the AC is blowing cold, i don't see any coolant in the oil, not burning oil, needs new brake rotors and oil change, Just wondering what some common issues are that I should probably look into.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought my 2006 Cobalt LT sedan for $300 from my sister’s boyfriend. Don’t know if you’ve found your misfire issue. But the I’d start with looking at the spark plugs and ignition coils to make sure they’re making spark. Easy and lazy way to test them is unplug the connector and see if it makes a bit of difference. Then if you find one isn’t working, swap the coil’s position to another cylinder. If the car was like mine the plugs may be fouled. These engines are notorious for oil consumption also, so they may have oil contamination. I improved the running condition and fuel mileage by doing an induction cleaning with some simple and cheap Seafoam that’s specifically made for doing so with a straw that fits inside the throttle body. Anyways it’s quite possibly to have a bad coil or spark plug, or both.

On mine, I replaced spark plugs with NGK 5019s. I have replaced the brake pads, machined the rotors, and adjusted the drum brakes. Might want to go get some new rotors though at some point. I did a coolant flush with a Prestone flush kit and cleaner solution. Replaced the thermostat at the same time, as the old one was causing the car to run a little hotter than normal. Flushed the brake fluid. Just replaced shocks and struts along with sway bar bushings. I still need to change the transmission fluid. Not a flush, but a pan drop and new filter. Also replaced the engine air filter and air conditioning cabin air filter. I’ve replaced the cabin filter twice already in the past year so it doesn’t smell musty when the ac is on. I still want to replace the fuel filter, I’m sure it’s probably original. I also had to replace the turn signal switch, it broke and was being held by tape. This is very common on the Cobalt.

Other than that, I have only cleaned the inside and outside of the car. Although the paint looks like crap. It’s still way better than how I got the car. Really it’s so far been a great little car. It’s semi zippy having the 2.2 due to being such a light weight car. Get good fuel mileage. And it’s cheap as dirt to fix up. Overall I can say I’d rather have this car over an Impala or Malibu of the same era. I have really ended up liking this little car more than I thought I would. Next I need to get the windows tinted. Then maybe think about a new paint job. I have people always asking me to sell them the car. But I won’t. I’ve got other cars I’m working on getting back on the road, but I’ll likely keep this as a daily driver for the fuel economy. This is also not the worst car to drive on long drives out of town. It’s sort of comfortable compared to other cars in its class. Can’t say the back seat would be though, that’s the only thing I don’t like is how small it is back there. But that’s coming from driving full sized cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts