Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 08 Sport with 47000 miles. Was just wondering when most people start replacing their struts?? I don't want to wait till they completly go anymore because of the damage that can happen when they do go(coil spring included). Learned my lesson from waiting on a different car!! Also, do you go with OEM, or aftermarket??

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
X2 on replacing them with FE5. Might as well throw in better springs when you replace the struts...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
FE5 struts/shocks from the 2008+ Cobalt SS Turbocharged.

For springs, you can also go with the 08+ FE5 or use Pedders.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
would fe5 struts make the car ride rougher. I have an LT and its really rough already
Depends on what you define as rough. The SS/SC isn't too bad for me on PA roads.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just because they're not leaking doesn't mean they're still ok. Hence the reason for my orignal question. Is there a time limit)years or milage people go by before they swap their stuff out BEFORE it actually fails?? This question is based on nonabusive type driving & reasonable road wear.............

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It shouldn't bounce more than 1.5 times when pushing down on the corners.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Mine doesn't move an inch, not sure if that is good or bad because the car feels like it doesn't have an independent suspension up front. Sharp hits feel like a solid axle
I wonder if they're seized up. Not common to have a frozen shock, but it happens.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I always thought something was wrong somewhere, but when i get the front end checked out (ball joints, control arms, tie rod ends, etc) I'm told nothing is wrong.
Now, maybe that means it is the struts but the only way to find out is to drop them but that costs so much it probably pays just to replace them. I had the strut cartidges replaced a couple of years ago (I really regret not changing the whole thing including the mounts) because they were leaking. The ride didn't improve at all.
Do you guys think there's a good chance that the struts themselves are bad(not just the cartidges?)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.