Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You better adjust ur driving, seriously. And cut ur bumpstops. Hopefully u can deal with the ride cuz two others traded their b&g springs. Ur ride is gonna sit sexy like mine now. Ha ha

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know i really do need to change my driving or ill be taking my bumpers home in my trunk. And i like a sportier ride anyways ill be fine :bigsmile:

your car will be like my cars older brother hahaha

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i'm saying by cutting your front bumpstops you're allowing for more suspension travel. it'll lead to bouncy handling and over angling the cv joints. if you hit a bump while putting any torque down pop goes the axle. truuuuust me I've been through it:bigsmile:

and thank you cesar i already ordered them from ebay. much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Aight. Just letting you know lol

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

But the difference is u were waaaaay too low. I'm just an inch lower than eibachs

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yes but if you think about it, with cut bump stops, the stuts are limited to the same travel with or without an extreme drop. if the struts are going to compress that much, the geometry is exactly the same as what broke my axles. a strut bottomed out on a cut bump stop...is just a strut bottomed out on a cut bump stop lol.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
That's a good deal right. ? I just see it like this. The car is already sitting past the stock drop when it's parked. So the strut is compressed beyond what it should be. No?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nooooooooo cesar why did you have to post that!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are already closed where i ordered them from so i cant cancel it :cry: oh well

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
the bump stops are only utilized when the strut is compressed from absorbing a bump to the point that the only thing keeping the struts from bottoming out is the bump stop. so if i kept my regular bump stops in, the strut would not have compressed to the point of allowing my suspension to go low enough to break the axle. by cutting the bump stops, you are opening a window for over-angling your cv joints.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Lets say i dont cut my bump stops, how hard do I have to hit a bump to buttom out?
pretty damn hard if the springs are half decent. the spring rate, if the spring is designed well for the drop it gives, should not allow the strut to compress to the point of hitting bump stops. these springs by what i have seen have a tendency to sag meaning the spring rate is pretty low. they are soft springs. they obviously weren't meant to sag, therefore they don't have the proper spring rate to keep the car off the bump stops. a drop spring made for 1.5" drop will have a higher spring rate than a 1" drop spring to, like I just said, keep the car off the bump stops. it will be physically stiffer. the b&g's in my opinion are totally form over function. i'm prepared to deal with that, since i've driven on bouncy cut springs. this will be no problem as long as you don't care about handling. though the lower you go, the tighter your steering will feel. it has it's ups and downs.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i canceled my order and got the ones off ebay. Saved $70, which will pay for the alignment :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.