Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name's Brandon, I recently bought a 2007 Cobalt LS 5 spd and am pretty new to modding/tuning cars. Right now I have the K&N High Flow Air Filter in my cobalt but was wondering if I'd better benefit from an actual cold air intake??

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just checked it out, looks good man thanks a lot!! I'll definitely give that a shot this weekend

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm pretty sure no matter what you do to the airbox/stock intake/stock filter... A CAI is always going to be better, I could be wrong, but something about plastic intakes just screams "replace me"...

·
Registered
136 Posts
you would unless u did the airbox mod like me and that improves it's airflow
way better. take a peek. Cobalt SS Network
That's to remove the silencer, not really the "airbox mod". The airbox mod requires cutting of the airbox and using a cone filter.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm pretty sure no matter what you do to the airbox/stock intake/stock filter... A CAI is always going to be better, I could be wrong, but something about plastic intakes just screams "replace me"...
In most situations the CAI intake is better. In most ways except for the amount of time it takes for the air to get to the engine, because CAI setups place it considerably further from the engine than most.

V

·
0 Posts
In most ways except for the amount of time it takes for the air to get to the engine, because CAI setups place it considerably further from the engine than most.
But that placement further from the engine is how it gets the cooler air to the intake. Also, they usually allow MORE air in than stock.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Think about it ...Cold Air Intake sucks in the air where the coolest air sits from the motor VS just an aftermarket replacement drop in filter where it still has the restrictive air box and the lower snorkle thing

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know that, but you clearly didnt understand what i was saying.
Your argument about the distance the air has to travel I would say is wrong and or irrelevant.

You're talking about an extra foot or so of piping ONLY if your talking about the Injen CAI or a custom intake. If your using the stock airbox/filter still, those too pieces make up that difference in pipping right there, not to mention they're larger and more restrictive. The stock intake itself it just a oke imo, what is the point of that huge plastic "thingy" right over the TB? The K&N CAI is actually a shorter distance. Not to mention the CAI intakes usually have much larger piping allowing for more air, less restriction, faster airflow. Logically to me, a CAI is better from every stand point.

·
Registered
575 Posts
CAI will always be better than a stock airbox by providing free-er colder airflow than a stock box. That airbox mod doesn't really do much maybe 1hp.

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah well... You know what I mean...
Yea i know. I didnt mean to sound like a ****. But thats the reason that they make short ram intakes, because you get more air into the engine faster, thus the advantage over cold air. Plus the K&N has higher performance increase over any CAI ive seen. 15.98 whp on a dyno compared to manufacturer stated 8-10 (i think) from Injen. But that may just be because its K&N. If they make a CAI it very well could outperform the short ram.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think it's really more or less brand name prefference, I don't trust any name-brand companies to accurately tell me what they're product does. And I really don't see a reason to even compare a difference in 5whp. Where 5whp matters will be dictated by the skill of the driver anyway... Personally, I think the Injen just looks cooler...

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think it's really more or less brand name prefference, I don't trust any name-brand companies to accurately tell me what they're product does. And I really don't see a reason to even compare a difference in 5whp. Where 5whp matters will be dictated by the skill of the driver anyway... Personally, I think the Injen just looks cooler...
Well for my part, every bit of power i can squeeze out is all the better for me. But i see where your coming from. And since theyre almost the exact same price brand new id just rather go with whatever puts down more power.

·
Registered
594 Posts
well I have a K&N air intake system for my 2006 cobalt lt,and I like it,theres plenty of other cold air intake systems out there you can use but the K&N air intake system are one of the few that were tested real well on a cobalt,its whatever you want to do man.I didn't spend 280 for it either I actually was able to get a 15% discount where it came down to 215 dollars,so I did save a good chunk of change.Murray's should have that discount going still,also the good thing about the K&N is that its lifetime warranty,if anything goes wrong with it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
well I have a K&N air intake system for my 2006 cobalt lt,and I like it,theres plenty of other cold air intake systems out there you can use but the K&N air intake system are one of the few that were tested real well on a cobalt,its whatever you want to do man.I didn't spend 280 for it either I actually was able to get a 15% discount where it came down to 215 dollars,so I did save a good chunk of change.Murray's should have that discount going still,also the good thing about the K&N is that its lifetime warranty,if anything goes wrong with it.
Life time warranty FTW. Ive never had a problem with K&N. If they tell me is good, i will buy it. Especially since most of the time they have the dyno charts to prove it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
its always better to see a chart for dyno testing for a air intake system honestly. as BlackBaltSS saids there is a chart to prove a dyno test with the K&N air intake system.where is there a chart for a cold air intake system anyways,if its consider any better?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.