Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I live in one of the coldest cities in Canada, and I was wondering if anyone had any issues with the xtreme cold and their CAI. To me it seems that there should not be any problems, cuz the idea is to put cold air into the engine right? Anyways, just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I have an 08 LS.

·
Say What again!
6,397 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue - I mean, regardless - you're drawing in the same temperature of air if you have a CAI or stock intake.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Firstly, just so you're aware, the K&N intake is actually just a short ram intake(SRI). It remains in the engine bay pretty much taking over the exact place your stock intake was bolted down. I recently put one on my car and after driving around for about five minutes the tube was extremely hot. A lot of the air you'll be sucking in will be semi-warm being in the engine bay so you should be alright. I think it will balance out honestly. The air will warm up a bit prior to making it to the throttle body so the temp of the air will never be the same temp as it reaches your engine.

Now if it was a true CAI, the air will still be freezing but it would have to be insanely cold to affect the internals of an engine. If you're car will still turn on and your fuel lines haven't froze over, then I'd assume your oil and metal internals would be fine as well.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
dont see why it wouldnt be. my dads old 02 sierra had a cai and it was fine. where abouts in Canada are you?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winnipeg, Mb

One other question then, is the SRI even beneficial? If the air is approx. the same temp. then whats the benefit? I think its more air coming in, whether or not its cold.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
it is. its still more air coming in. i think K&N claims ~8 hp

·
Registered
116 Posts
Winnipeg, Mb

One other question then, is the SRI even beneficial? If the air is approx. the same temp. then whats the benefit? I think its more air coming in, whether or not its cold.
The benefits over your stock intake and a CAI include a much deeper sound when in wide open throttle, instant throttle response, and even though it isn't "cold air" it's still heaps better than your stock intake. SRI have the advantage of more HP early on during your rise through the RPMs. The reason for every single advantage is because of the short tubing. The tubing is probably half the length of a CAI tube, and so it takes twice as long for the air to hit the throttle body with a CAI. Hence the delayed throttle response. Also, because your air gets there faster, you get much more air into the engine. It may not be as cold, but there is more of it.

Another plus with the K&N is it comes with a heat shield. Technically you're getting every advantage of a SRI with a bit of the benefits of a CAI because the air is a little less cool with the heat shield blocking the engine.

There are advantages for both, but a lot of people bash on the SRI because they don't know WTF they're talking about. It all depends on what your plan is for your car. Do you want a fun driver with quick acceleration and more noise? Get a SRI. Do you want to push your car for every ounce of HP it's worth? Get a CAI.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The benefits over your stock intake and a CAI include a much deeper sound when in wide open throttle, instant throttle response, and even though it isn't "cold air" it's still heaps better than your stock intake. SRI have the advantage of more HP early on during your rise through the RPMs. The reason for every single advantage is because of the short tubing. The tubing is probably half the length of a CAI tube, and so it takes twice as long for the air to hit the throttle body with a CAI. Hence the delayed throttle response. Also, because your air gets there faster, you get much more air into the engine. It may not be as cold, but there is more of it.

Another plus with the K&N is it comes with a heat shield. Technically you're getting every advantage of a SRI with a bit of the benefits of a CAI because the air is a little less cool with the heat shield blocking the engine.

There are advantages for both, but a lot of people bash on the SRI because they don't know WTF they're talking about. It all depends on what your plan is for your car. Do you want a fun driver with quick acceleration and more noise? Get a SRI. Do you want to push your car for every ounce of HP it's worth? Get a CAI.
Well, that helps even more! And now, I wait for it to be shipped, im not to sure about the place I ordered it from, they are taking forever to send it for some reason. Cobalt-Addiction.com not so great?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, that helps even more! And now, I wait for it to be shipped, im not to sure about the place I ordered it from, they are taking forever to send it for some reason. Cobalt-Addiction.com not so great?
I haven't used them before personally. They sent you a reciept through email right? Or some kind of invoice?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I got a receipt, they use some kind of paypal system, so I got the emails with the item and an receipt number on that same email. I'm just getting ticked cuz winter is well on its way here and they haven't even shipped it yet, its been 2 damn weeks almost.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would call tomorrow and ***** them out. Tell them if you don't have a tracking order by Thursday you want a full refund. I think that's complete BS you've been waiting for two weeks. They shouldn't have things available on their site if they don't have the items to send.

As far as I'm concerned you didn't walk into a lay-a-way center at Walmart.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You should've done some research on the company...CA is notorious for slow shipping practices.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Oh snap, does it really?!

This is my first winter with my SRI. Im stokeddddd
Yea man. Due to the cold temperature it helps the SRI perform better as its pulling in colder air. When you go WOT when it's 30 degrees outside the sound will bring a huge smile to your face :bigsmile:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.