Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
It only poduces 6.6 HP alone, so the power difference will be a little noticable, and it will make a nice deep sound at the front of your car. If you listen carefully you can actually hear the throttle body opening and closing. However, confirm with the seller that you are getting the 2.2L version, as the one shown in the link is for the 2.0L.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As for a performance increase, that depends if the stock air intake system is restrictive or not. If the engine is getting all the air it needs with the stock system, then there will be no performance improvement. The engine will be noisier with this system, if you like noise for some reason. But increased noise doesn't make a car go faster. As for the noise being nice or not, that's a personal choice. A nice noise is in the ear of the beholder. :)

Oil wetted air filters can cause problems with the expensive MAF sensor though, because when oil from the air filter gets on the sensor, it can cause the sensor to fail and throw a Service Engine Soon light. Also, in my opinion, based on the test results I've seen, old school oil wetted cotton gauze air filters don't do a very good job of filtering out engine killing dirt.

Will I notice performance difference with this upgrade alone on stock car? Will it make a nicer noise when i accelerate?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i got this same cai for my 07 ss and i noticed a difference it wasnt too drastic but noticable and of course i got more of a whine! haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i got this same cai for my 07 ss and i noticed a difference it wasnt too drastic but noticable and of course i got more of a whine! haha
does it sound nice? sounds like a whine!!?!? I have done nothing on my car so it shouldn't be taking all the air in it can. Even if it can add 5 horsepower its great. Most important thing is the noise of the engine, i'm getting this so it will sound nice and deep from inside the car and outside.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well i got the supercharger so that is the whine
but yes it does sound very nice on a rev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much is the super charger?

btw cold air intake IS the cheapest way to boost little performance with a nicer engine noise boost right?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
he has the ss...

·
Registered
240 Posts
does it sound nice? sounds like a whine!!?!? I have done nothing on my car so it shouldn't be taking all the air in it can. Even if it can add 5 horsepower its great. Most important thing is the noise of the engine, i'm getting this so it will sound nice and deep from inside the car and outside.
The way it sounds is more important than the performance of it? All show and no go, eh?

If that's the case, just get a recoding of an NHRA top fuel drag racer, put it into the cars stereo and turn up the volume. Less costly this way! :laugh:

·
Registered
496 Posts
the K&N does sound freaking awesome. as for gains, its pretty noticeable to me. i should be getting some really good gains once i get my header, downpipe, and exhaust though

·
Registered
33 Posts
The way it sounds is more important than the performance of it? All show and no go, eh?

If that's the case, just get a recoding of an NHRA top fuel drag racer, put it into the cars stereo and turn up the volume. Less costly this way! :laugh:
haha no sounds not everything i like the quality and efficiency of their product and how safe it is for my car(not throwing cel's) i gained i believe about 8 to 10 hp which is noticable

·
Registered
240 Posts
haha no sounds not everything i like the quality and efficiency of their product and how safe it is for my car(not throwing cel's) i gained i believe about 8 to 10 hp which is noticable
Just using a little humor to try and point out that it might be better to be concerned with, "go", than, "show", (not that you aren't). :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just using a little humor to try and point out that it might be better to be concerned with, "go", than, "show", (not that you aren't). :)
yea well what you said was funny and gave me a lil chuckle haha
in the end its a good intake backed by a strong company

·
Registered
221 Posts
The throttle response is noticeable, the extra sound at WOT is great, and if you behave yourself you get slightly better mileage (so I've heard - I cant behave myself....lol) and the fact that you don't have to replace the filter is nice too.
As far as the issue with the oil on the MAF - that only happens to people who don't follow the directions when cleaning and reoiling the filter. If you put too much oil on the filter, slap it back on the car and start it up - of course the oil is going to get sucked in and stick to the MAF. If you oil the filter, let it sit, shake it off 15 minutes later and shake off what oil has settled at the bottom of the pleats you'll have no issue. I've run intakes on my vehicles for 12 years now and have NEVER had a CEL.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The throttle response is noticeable, the extra sound at WOT is great, and if you behave yourself you get slightly better mileage (so I've heard - I cant behave myself....lol) and the fact that you don't have to replace the filter is nice too.
As far as the issue with the oil on the MAF - that only happens to people who don't follow the directions when cleaning and reoiling the filter. If you put too much oil on the filter, slap it back on the car and start it up - of course the oil is going to get sucked in and stick to the MAF. If you oil the filter, let it sit, shake it off 15 minutes later and shake off what oil has settled at the bottom of the pleats you'll have no issue. I've run intakes on my vehicles for 12 years now and have NEVER had a CEL.
I agree, most intakes that I have seen on any car that has CEL issues, is the result of not reading the directions properly during installation or short cutting. Also, people that either over oil or don't allow the filters to sit after cleaning and reapplying oil.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
def you will get better sound of it , and you will gain hp as well but no more than 8 hp .
I would say go for it, this is mod that all cars should have.

·
Registered
240 Posts
def you will get better sound of it , and you will gain hp as well but no more than 8 hp .
I would say go for it, this is mod that all cars should have.
Oil on expensive MAF sensors can destroy them and cause a Check Engine Light to come on.

How much dirt do they filter out? From the tests I've seen, I wouldn't put one on my car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.