Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a nice 450 mile round trip this past weekend and saw a little jump on my MPG from 36.7 to 37.5 so far according to the lying information center. I was told it takes up to 500 miles to get the new filter to break in properly. Stayed a consistant 69-72 MPH on the freeway.

What else could I do to my little balt to get it up higher? upgrade the exhaust manifold?

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
CAI will not increase gas mileage. Colder air = more dense = more fuel = less mileage.

Do a catback, LSJ header/downpipe and you'll be golden, I think. Lowering the vehicle will more than likely help as well.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome mp81. I assumed a CAI wouldnt do anything, since it basically increases HP, but not MPG. A SRI would grab even more hot air, so it defeats the purpose, lol.

I know a catback system will increase it by 1/2 mpg, but its very helpful into hitting that 40mpg HWY and not at a constant 55MPH. Thats why I was thinking of that 2.4L header/downpipe combo with a GMPP Touring catback. That will do the trick, I hope...

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
The SRI will produce an increase in power, and probably no decrease in mileage.

Well, as long as it's an early 2.4L Header/Downpipe, when it was the same as the LSJ.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always thought a SRI would not help on MPG. If you think about it, its exposed even more to engine heat, it does grab air from 360 degrees, but the air is hotter. Kinda like driving on a hot day and seeing your engine power not so good compared to a cold winter night, your vehicle runs like a champ from colder temps of air being drawn in for better combustion. Maybe im wrong.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Hotter air = less fuel needed.

The hotter it is outside, and the hotter your car is running, the better your gas mileage will be. Less power, though. An SRI will provide a decent increase in power, though. Maybe 1 or 2 HP less than a full CAI, but 5 or 6 over stock. (all wheel numbers)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahhh...but the colder outside is at night, the faster your car goes, isnt that funny?
Hot Air=better MPG
Cold Air=better HP

The K&N is finally broken in...refueled my car twice, did the calculations...

Drum rolls please...

I get average City=29.5MPG, HWY=38.2MPG

Not too shabby for a $50 product.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
ahhh...but the colder outside is at night, the faster your car goes, isnt that funny?
Hot Air=better MPG
Cold Air=better HP
Correct.

Dense air makes power. You notice it waay more when you're boosted.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
CAI will not increase gas mileage. Colder air = more dense = more fuel = less mileage.

Do a catback, LSJ header/downpipe and you'll be golden, I think. Lowering the vehicle will more than likely help as well.
Going by Injens website, 1 to 2 mpg increase with the coldair intake. Not going to make a real difference unless you get a tune anyway. Only as good as the parameters set from the factory

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes Strosproject...def worth the money and if you can pull out the air box extension garbage.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Going by Injens website, 1 to 2 mpg increase with the coldair intake. Not going to make a real difference unless you get a tune anyway. Only as good as the parameters set from the factory
BTW Injen bases their dyno results with a header/catback setup...not to push on ya about that, but they falsify their "supposed' gains to trick you into buying their product over others.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Cold air means the engine can put more fuel in the mixture, but the engine should compensate but running less air and more exhaust, so you shouldn't get less mileage.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Cold air means the engine can put more fuel in the mixture, but the engine should compensate but running less air and more exhaust, so you shouldn't get less mileage.
The engine doesn't run less air - your foot controls that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to some ecomiling site, the best way to increase your mpg is to park the car, walk or ride a bicycle.

The best way I found to increase the mpg in mine, is to control the take off from a dead stop. Slamming the pedal to get the car up to speed is bad. Take it slow and if the other drives behind you don't like it, thats why there is a fast lane and a slow lane on the highway.

I've been told that the "sweet spot" in any vehicle is under 2k rpms. if you can keep it under 2k then you'll increase your mpg over the 2k mark you lose mpg. I have yet to discover a way to keep it under 2k rpms while highway driving so I am going to say that is a busted myth. The lowest I can get mine is 2.7-3k roms at 60mph on the highway. City driving is different, due to the lower speed zones and the stop/go traffic (whihc hurt the mpg rather then help) but i don't have that option here. So I say....

MYTHBUSTED!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine is a little over 2k RPMs at 60. I've found that driving style makes the biggest difference. I'm very light on the throttle, plan my exits and stop lights so I try to coast when possible and watch the instant mpg to monitor my progress. Highway is good, usually mid to upper 30s. City driving kills the average. At 31.2 for the current tank.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Installed drop-in K&N (33-2311) last week, but since winter is coming and temps are cooling won't be able to tell if MPH is better or not. Plus gas stations just switched to winter gas crap.

·
Registered
219 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.