Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 cobalt 2lt. An hear that k&n intakes are good for mpg. Idc about the power. I just mainly care for efficiency and mpg. Ive heard how the k&n intakes are just scams. So I'd like to know if anyone has any personal info about this?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
All aftermarket intakes no matter the brand will give you better mpg. Also pumping your tires up to 38psi

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Best thing to do is find out what the recommended inflation rate is and increase it by about 3-4lbs. I dont run too high anymore just because it's bad on the tires for racing. I believe that should work for your tires, but find out what is recommended as I said at the beginning.

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Best thing to do is find out what the recommended inflation rate is and increase it by about 3-4lbs. I dont run too high anymore just because it's bad on the tires for racing. I believe that should work for your tires, but find out what is recommended as I said at the beginning.
Lol I'll look on the tire

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I got pirelies. Or however you spell it. Their about 38 when already warmed up. Also, debating on a short ram or CAI.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a GMPP short ram and it's mostly for sound. However that, new fuel filter, fuel cleaner and 38-40psi helped the mileage some, nothing dramatic.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Intakes don't always increase mileage. They can lower it of it throws off the air fuel ratio to much. A friend of mines dad put a k&n on his vue and it made it worse.

As for cobalts. I have the k&n and mine hasn't been getting great mileage from the get go, but when I first put it on I thought I noticed the instant mpg go up a little on the highway

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn. Probably wont get one then-_- seems like the k&n's just let more air through, which in turn takes more gas to compensate. I only have 27k miles on mine. Not sure if a new fuel filter would be a great investment at the moment haha

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Why's my tire say 49 psi extra load Lol? Isn't max 38?
That is max load not recommended capacity. Call the place you bought the tires and ask, I'm sure it's the same.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Damn. Probably wont get one then-_- seems like the k&n's just let more air through, which in turn takes more gas to compensate. I only have 27k miles on mine. Not sure if a new fuel filter would be a great investment at the moment haha
Fuel filter would be pointless. The intake allows a better flow of air and if you go CAI colder air which makes for a better combustion. You are still restricted to how much air goes in via the TB and the air/fuel mapping on your ECU. With the intake and tire pressure change you will probably only see a 2-3mpg gain depending on your style of driving.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
At 27k? I dont think so. Mine was changed at 120k.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about a short ram? I just put in seafoam today and I got no smoke:/ terrible gas mileage as well haha

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
What about a short ram? I just put in seafoam today and I got no smoke:/ terrible gas mileage as well haha
Seafoam does not work, its design is to clean out the carbon build up in your engine. GM offers at your local dealership parts counter a upper head cleaner that really works. It costs around $35 and its good for up to 16 applications. Other manufacturers offer theirs too, but GM has the best, it does work and you will see a crud load of carbon get thrown out the exhaust. It cleans your camshafts, valves, and top of your pistons. I saw it tested on a ford focus at school and I was shocked at how clean it was after 2 hours.

Seafoam is white smoke, when carbon is black deposits, make sense? Nope.

For the intake side, it will unrestrict air into the throttle body from the OEM intake. K&N filters are good, but just a drop in filter type will gain you more mpg than any. Their claim is more CFM's into the combustion chamber, resulting in a slight leaner mix which we have from OEM a wideband 02 (8:1-18:1 air/fuel ratio), but I saw a 2 mpg increase on city/hwy combined (not bad at all), for the Typhoon, I lost .5mpg from stock combined, but gained on throttle response a wee tad and higher end power on vvt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.