Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I replace the battery in my RKE or key fob will I have to have it reprogrammed? 2007 Cobalt

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No , CR2032 is the battery.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

I repair KeyFOBs as a passtime, don't make too much money doing it either. But here is a neat device I found to be particularly handy to verify each button to see if they work. It's called a RF bug detector and since keyFOBs work at 315MHz this is perfect.

Video

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h381/Coby007/?action=view&current=VIDEO0066.mp4

·
Registered
563 Posts
inside a keyfob, if the soldering holding the battery housing in place came partly unattached, can it be resoldered and work? I went to get mine reprogrammed and they showed me it was broken.

·
Registered
50 Posts
inside a keyfob, if the soldering holding the battery housing in place came partly unattached, can it be resoldered and work? I went to get mine reprogrammed and they showed me it was broken.
Same problem here, except mine came completely unattached and broke in two. The small piece was lost but I resoldered the big piece. No luck on my end.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah if you drop them enough times they will eventually break loose. It is very common for me to open one to find the clip has partially or completely come apart. Clean all surfaces of old solder apply a bit of flux and resolder it in place. It should work flawlessly. The big tab is actually B+ and the 2 small ones are just anchors for the clip.

Next time I repair one I will do a step-by-step and post it on here.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

This is what the repair should look like once finished. No big blops of solder because more is not better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah if you drop them enough times they will eventually break loose. It is very common for me to open one to find the clip as partially or completely come apart. Clean all surfaces of olsd solder apply a bit of flux and resolder it in place. It should work flawlessly. The big tab is actually B+ and the 2 small ones are just anchors for the clip.

Next time I repair one I will do a step-by-step and post it on here.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

This is what the repair should look like once finished. No big blops of solder because more is not better.

I'll have to give it another go around. Not the greatest with a soldering iron..

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The main thing is to remove as much of the old oxidized solder from the components to be resoldered and use flux to help the flow.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I use a solderpolt or wick. You can also heat it and brush it off or blow it off.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Eh! KeyFOB info is KeyFOB info. I'm always glad to help. HECK if you lived next door I'd fix it for you. Actually worked on my neighbour's boat tach tonight. It had a cold solder on the circuit board. Works fine now. Didn't make any money there either. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Here are typical tools I use for repairing keyFOB, missing only the contact cleaner.

·
Registered
563 Posts
awesome, ill try to fix mine. Stupid dealer charged me 35 bucks to tell me they plugged it in and couldnt program it -_-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.