Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 colbalt ls. Lastnight i was on freeway on ramp and the car totally went black no power at all. My key will move back and forth but wont go back to the lock position to get the key out. And my shifter is stuck in park. I tried to jumpstart it but when i hooked it up it was arcing way more than a regular hookup should and i still have zero power and my tachometer is stuck on 3000 rpms and my speedometer is stuck on 45 mph. Please help

·
Registered
438 Posts
This should be a real fun one. But you have something, maybe like part of the wiring harness, grounding. Or at least sounds like it based on what you’ve said.

I would check the wiring harness that goes right next to the oil filter housing on the engine block. Many times the wire loom will disintegrate leaving the wires exposed to rub against the sharp edge of the engine. It’ll run through the plastic on the wire and expose the strands of the wire. At least this is fairly common on these cars. Worth a look.

If you open the shifter you can move the shift lock with a screw driver. If you aren’t familiar doing this, I don’t recommend it because you can break the shifter and it’s fairly expensive because the whole assembly usually has to be replaced.

if you remove the plastic clam shell around the steering column you can use a screw driver to poke the release button under the lock cylinder and turn it into the the off position. The steering wheel will lock in this position though. And can’t be turned unless the key is inserted and turned forward.

You can also put the transmission in neutral by removing the shifter cable off of the shift lever on the transmission. You do need to be careful because the bushing that holds it on the pin can easily break apart. So it needs to be removed fairly strait and not at an angle. I usually use a panel removal tool to remove them without damage.

By the way. Probably would be a great idea to disconnect the battery at this point so not to cause damage to wiring or the modules. Or start a fire.

·
Say What again!
6,226 Posts
if you remove the plastic clam shell around the steering column you can use a screw driver to poke the release button under the lock cylinder and turn it into the the off position. The steering wheel will lock in this position though. And can’t be turned unless the key is inserted and turned forward.
There's actually a small access cover on the bottom that allows you to locate/push it without having to remove the entire column surround.

Reactions: BeeOlsen

·
Registered
438 Posts
I guess if you have something real small like a pick, that works. Has to be fairly small in diameter to fit from what I remember. Haven’t had the issue with my car, but have had plenty of these cars come in and have the key stuck where it just won’t turn until the release button is depressed. I know it’s a safety thing so you can’t turn the key into the off position with the trans in gear and lock the steering.

Probably some idiot turned his car off while driving and wrecked because he couldn’t turn the steering wheel. Must have been like 1987 or 1988 when this was a mandated thing to have. My ‘87 Accord doesn’t have this feature, or even a shift lock. 1988 Accords did though. Along with the stupid passive seatbelts. Remember those.

·
Say What again!
6,226 Posts
I don't have an issue reaching up into the column through the access hole with my finger to slide the button over. No tools required.

My '81 Z28 has to be put in reverse, rather than 1st gear, to get the key out. And on my brother's '01 Mustang, you have to press a button while turning the key the opposite way to get it out.

Reactions: BeeOlsen

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2007 colbalt ls. Lastnight i was on freeway on ramp and the car totally went black no power at all. My key will move back and forth but wont go back to the lock position to get the key out. And my shifter is stuck in park. I tried to jumpstart it but when i hooked it up it was arcing way more than a regular hookup should and i still have zero power and ...
Bill, there's a finger hole under your steering column, press the pin inside and the key should release...I changed my shifter...sometimes my button don't pop out after putting into a gear..( auto).. I have to remove the knob, push a screwdriver into the lower shaft...it unlocks all of it...try YouTube. Good luck..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts