Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
play with it...seriously..lol.. actually theres a little hole underneath the steering wheel plastic cover..open it up and stick your finger in there..you should feel a little button. just push up on the button and turn the key

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
it's there...it's the ignition release button...trust me, this happened to me..I just ziptied the button down afterwards and now it's fine

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your cylinder probably broke Mine did a month ago. They had to replace mine, my car would not shut off because of it, take it to the dealership

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
stick your finger up in the hole and it should be slightly on the right side(i think) lol

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

its gonna be like a lil tab uunder the steering wheel, pull it out, then press in
or another thing, your battery could be dead
his car is running:notrust: how can it be dead:cheesy:

·
Registered
911 Posts
how can his car be running when its a 5 speed? just let go of the clutch with it out of neutral

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how can his car be running when its a 5 speed? just let go of the clutch with it out of neutral
I did. And I disconnected the battery so it doesnt run out. Still cant find the button. lol :notrust:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
let me try to find some pics

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

HERES A HOW-TO FROM CSS

So, you're key is stuck in the ignition, and it wont come out?
The key is most likely stuck at accessory, and not even in the Off position, right?

Well, here's the deal. In your shifter assembly, the switch that tells the car its in park isnt working, so, your car wont turn to Off because it thinks you're either still in gear, or in Neutral.

Now, there is a recall on this issue, so if you still have your warranty, the dealer should cover it. HOWEVER, there are people like me who have done some extensive modding and have hacked at the BCM harness/ECM harness so there's no warranty, and then theres those who have ******* dealers who refuse to fix the problem.

Well, underneath your steering column is a plastic cover that can come off. If you take it off, you can feel around inside the column for a button. When this button is pushed, it lets you turn the key to Off and pull it out.

So, how about a more permanent fix?
Under the steering wheel, surrounding the area of the black plastic panel, there are 3 7mm screws. Take those out, and then the panel should drop down. (it might need a little tug, the to cover and bottom cover are connected with those clips that hold the rest of the cars trim together, 2 clips on the sides)

Now you can see the button that you were pushing. Well, lets just make it so the button is always being pushed, shall we?

For me, it took 2 zip ties. Just slide one end through the switch that the button actuates (refer to pic) and then wrap it around the whole unit. A second ziptie was used to extend the frst one.

Trim the zipties of the excess plastic (clearance is tight under there), and reinstall the lower cover. Whala!
Car will turn on, turn off, no CEL, and no replacing any parts!

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I don't think the 5 speeds have those buttons man. I think you have a broken lock cylinder. I had one a few months ago. The fix thru the dealer was $500.

They say that our lock cylinders are weak, and that extra weight makes them break faster. I have 4 keys on my ring now.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

If you can wait longer to fix it I have seen lock cylinders on Ebay for about $100, you would just have to have the keys programed at a dealer for like $60.00

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think the 5 speeds have those buttons man. I think you have a broken lock cylinder. I had one a few months ago. The fix thru the dealer was $500.

They say that our lock cylinders are weak, and that extra weight makes them break faster. I have 4 keys on my ring now.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

If you can wait longer to fix it I have seen lock cylinders on Ebay for about $100, you would just have to have the keys programed at a dealer for like $60.00
Phew. Lucky Im going to the dealer tommorow to get my oil changed. haha

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Can you start your car with the key stuck in it? If not you will have to get it towed. No real big deal though, we all have free roadside assist for 100,000 miles.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

You prolly still have the bumper to bumper, right?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. It'll start. Its stuck on the ACC part so everything is stuck on. Ill just have to disconnect the battery for tonight.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Um.... How about just turn the steering wheel to the left, hold it or wiggle it...... Turn off car.... Pull out key?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.