Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I know there are other threads for this but my situation is different.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2

So my car died a while ago and well we tried to jump it and it wouldn't turn over just kept doing the clicking noise, so we thought it was the starter.

Well we got it towed to a shop, and it turned out to just be the battery but for some reason, the key is not stuck in the ignition.

I feel as if the tow person did something so that he could back the car up and then lift it up and tow it.

He popped off the shifter cover as well as when under the hood and popped something. I'm not sure what I just watch from the window.

I am really mad at myself for just watching the car go to the shop from the window, I feel as if I watch what he did and then went to the shop with him this whole thing wouldn't be happening.

I am pretty sure I got the recall fixed on the ignition already.

If yall has any ideas that would be great. The car is still in the shop was there for a whole day and no word on it, calling tomorrow to see an update.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What actually is the problem you want addressed. Not sure from your post!!!

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Did you try the key release on the bottom (inside the cover) of the steering column?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Several reasons the key could get stuck in the ignition.

1 Your battery could be weak
2 The park switch could be out of place, bad or not being actuated by the center pin.
3 The solenoid holding the key could be bad.
4 Although not likely but the barrel could be bad.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Reactions: Parthros

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

Reactions: Parthros

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
And here is the park switch that actuates the ignition solenoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Several reasons the key could get stuck in the ignition.

1 Your battery could be weak
2 The park switch could be out of place, bad or not being actuated by the center pin.
3 The solenoid holding the key could be bad.
4 Although not likely but the barrel could be bad.
Awesome, I'm going to give the shop another day to see if they can figure it out if not I'm getting my car back Wednesday and then I'll use the help from yall to figure this all out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it seems that I have a bad shifter. the key is able to come out now. And the shifters are on back order. does anyone know if there is a recall for cobalt shifters?

but now I may need a new alternator.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Never seen a recall for the shifter. I'd just buy a used one off ebay.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had mine replaced a few months back under a GM special campaign in Canada...so parts and labour paid for by GM...have your VIN checked by a GM dealership, maybe you can get the job done for free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.