Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My keyless entry is acting up. Replaced the battery twice with no change. I have already resoldered the connections for the battery clip, and confirmed they are still secure. The doors will not lock or unlock consistently. Sometimes I need to be close, other times far away. Sometimes behind the car, sometimes on the side etc etc.
One thing that does work all the time is the trunk release. Close, far, no matter what side of the car etc.
My wife ran the other remote through the washer some time ago, so I do not have another to test with.
So, what are the odds that the lock and unlock buttons are just going bad on the remote? What are the chances this is a problem with the internal electronics? The doors automatically lock just fine when put into gear, and unlock just fine when in park. Tested the door switches, and they also work fine. Seems to be limited to keyless entry.
This is an '08 LT.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I repair those all the time, you need to replace the button pad and clean the contact surface on the circuit board. What you can do as a temporary fix is punch out a couple of metal duct tape cut outs and press it onto the back of the button pad. This will work great and last you several months giving you ample time to order a button pad for your remote. It is explained in this thread.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/electrical/30592-how-properly-repair-key-fob.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.