Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, figured a new key would be $3-4, but my first time having a key copied with a "chip". Locksmith wanted $55. Geez.

Guess theres no other choice, people, huh? Called the dealer but got a message saying "no one here right now, but we will call you back within 15 minutes". That was 3 hrs ago....LOL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to a car audio shop and get a blank unprogrammed key for $20-$25 and then take it to an oldschool hardware store with a manual cutter and pay 2-3 bucks and then program it your self. Less than $30.
Thanks, drop, but how does one program it? Do I even have to program it to have it start the engine?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, drop, but how does one program it? Do I even have to program it to have it start the engine?
Just wanted to bump up this thread again......any advice is appreciated. (how do you program a key?)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just wanted to bump up this thread again......any advice is appreciated. (how do you program a key?)
programming the key is simple:

1. insert original key into ignition and turn car on

2. turn car off and remove original key

3. insert new key and turn engine on

it has to be done pretty quickly, but its really easy to do. also you can get blank unprogrammed keys for around $10 on ebay. just do a search for chevrolet cobalt blank keys

make sure the keys you order are listed as compatible with the cobalt and have the (+) sign on the shaft of the key and you'll be fine. I ended up buying 2 keys for $5 each, paying walmart to cut them, and then programming them myself.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You don't need the chip, but without it the alarm will sound every time you unlock your doors. Found that out the hard way when I went swimming and didn't want to get remote entry wet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ya! if i would of know this a year ago that would have been nice LOL. The stealership charged me 80bucks, What a crime!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.