Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***not exactly a step by step DIY, mainly tips on it, FYI

First.... if your wondering, my car is fixed, accident pics are old from March, my baby is back and better than ever!

When installing el wire there are many options to choose from. If you are only adding a strip to a certain area make sure you make measurements..... one way to get a good idea of how much el wire you will need is with a simple piece of string. Run the string where you want your luminescent wire to be then measure the string..... give or take thats about how long your el wire needs to be. You can normally find el wire in 5ft and 10ft lengths at an autoparts store in the ricer aisle, or online..........

But if your doing a complete job--all 4 doors and dash (or more!)--its best to get custom el wire.

Once you get your el wire, its a fairly simple install..... where do you want your el wire, and how are you gonna keep it in place........

This DIY is how I did it:
After ordering your el wire (i custom ordered mine from live wire, Live Wire - The Worlds Brightest EL Wire Guaranteed!) pop off your door panels and wipe them down.
You then want to lay a thin bead of clear silicon where you want your wire and begin placing.

Placing the el wire in the silicon is one of the longer steps due to the fact u must hold it in place until it dries...... I used no tools for this, and smeared extra silicon over the wire to speed up the process ***Run a bead of silicon ahead of what your working on, so it somewhat dries a bit and becomes tacky.

Once all door panels have your el wire firmly glued, secured, and dried you can put your door panels back in:

**you dont have to put the panels in just yet if you dont want to, but i did..... so you might save your car interior a mess if you wait for your door panels to be 100% complete.

CLOSE UP OF EL WIRE SECURED IN PANEL WITH SILICON:

After I put my panels back in i began to trim, rub, and wipe excess silicon off of the door panel.
BEGIN REMOVAL OF EXCESS SILICON

80% OF THE EXCESS SILICON HAS BEEN REMOVED

El wire is lit, working properly, and secure........... If you have a hard time removing silicon from trouble spots just give it time to dry. I wasnt able to clean it all off the first day, and it wasnt completely cured. This mod took WEEKS to do, not because of difficulty, but of daily life constraints, so when i had an hour or two I would work on removing excess silicon.

**ARMOUR ALL INTERIOR WIPES WERE MY SECRET WEAPON TO GETTING IT ALL OFF--Im sure any wet wipe would do, but keep in mind this is after days of rubbing with my hands, dry towels and sponges.... for some reason those wipes really KOed this stuff and finished up the interior nicely.
And if you still cant remove the silicon, they have a silicon remover that slowly removes silicon, but its removed in layers and you will probably need to touch up with silicon remover more that once if you accidently got silicon in a real bad spot where it seems to never wanna come off.

This was never the case in my interior.

HOWS THAT FOR RICE FOO!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, plenty of views and no comments-good or bad-guess that tron remark did me in lol...

its on for the picture... The rest of the time its on music mode and blinks and beats to my stereo

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
how do it light up? looks good
this is el wire, electroluminescent wire, thats bendable and can go just about anywhere.... best thing to do would be check out the site to get an idea of what it is (Live Wire - The Worlds Brightest EL Wire Guaranteed!)

My setup was custom called in after taking my measurements.... laid out and installed. With Mimi's suggestion (i think thats her name if i remember right) I had this ordered:
Running 2 wires: dash and left side of vehicle, then the right side-each connected to battery with a music box which just pulses the light to the music.

Dash was 6ft lead off of fuse panel, 11ft of blue 2.5mm el wire, with a quick connector, 6ft lead wire, with another quick connect, 15ft el wire for driver door panel, a quick connect, 6 ft lead, and another 10ft el wire for the rear left door panel.

Right side El wire setup:
8ft lead wire off of fuse panel, 15ft el wire for front passenger door panel, quick connect with a 6ft lead, and finishing off with another 10ft el wire for right rear door panel.

*the whole point of getting it custom done was so they soldered in quick connects/disconnects in the El Wire...... this is so if i ever need to pop off my door panels or a mechanic needs to, hes not gonna just rip my el wire out, he will SEE the connections and simply disconnect them to remove the panel. :)

**Soooo, i have 2 control boxes in that retarded trunk pop panel above the driver left knee, left one is for dash and left side of car, right one is for right side, but after setting music sensitivity I rarely even have to touch it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whats wrong with the door? i dunno i guess you gonna tell me lol

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
of course it does camo..... the first few pictures are there explaining how I did it, so yeah.... there's a few pics that have silicon smeared everywhere.....

the later pics are with it completely done and all excess "crusty glue" removed..... as for the paint job, it looks just fine to me

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
idk maybe i'm just looking at it weird, i saw the glue is cleaned up in the one pic, but idk it looks like you didn't get down to a fine wetsand or something idk, the lighting itself looks good though

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bumpage

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
do you need one of those "driver" boxes at the end of each wire?
That was explained above--but yes, there are TWO sets of wires run.... both boxes are in the "trunk popper" compartment above the drivers knee.

1 wire runs the dash and left side of the car, while the 2nd wire runs the right side of car...... keep in mind though, after i set the sensitivity on music mode, i dont have to mess with it and just cruise

·
Registered
164 Posts
i was just clarifying for my own reasons lol.

How did you get the wire between the doors? Did you have one continuous EL wire, or did u wire a positive between the ends of the neon and have a negative wire for the two small wire things?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I think this is a cool idea. I like how it looks from a distance lit up. not my style though, but to each his own. and as far as the blue paint, I have to agree that it should be wet sanded smooth and get rid of the rough look. but I like the overall concept.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.