Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on 3 days now and it's still really tacky.
I'm painting my steering wheel for my boat, which is a softish, plastic or rubber. I put about 3 coats on it, but still not dry.
I've set it out in the sun today and yesterday for hours at 85 - 90 degree temps. Then put in in the garage overnight at about 75 degrees.
I even set it on the kids' trampoline, but unfortunately got a little paint on there. Even that little bit is tacky 24 hours later.
I prepped it really well, even used the Dupli-color prep wipes(they are great). But I'm confused?
Could I be exposing it to too much heat?

I hate to have to clean it all off.

·
Registered
328 Posts
hrm ... ive seen this before on some big jobs at work (im a painter at a bodyshop) but not 100% sure what could cause it. but have some ideas ....

since you didnt use "professional" paint and used spray paint. i cant blame inproper mixing of the paint... if your prep was good that shouldnt be the problem but even bad prep wont cause improper drying of the paint if anything it will only cause paint imperfections or bad adhesion...

so id guess that either something you used for prep either put a "film" of some sort causeing the paint to not set in properly or maybe the High heat set the paint in but at the same time was so hot it kept the paint real soft but unless you REALLY hammered the paint on i cant seem to think of why this is happening with the spray paint...

did you shake the can well? i dont know, if it was a professional paint i could have more input but spray paint i dont usually see this problem sorry ... let me know if you find anything out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
was the paint enamel or acrylic? Enamel chemically reacts with some kinds of plastic and doesn't dry. I think the Fusion is made more for harder plastics. How old was the can?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was shaken well, and only a couple months old, stored within the stated temp. range.
As far as acrylic or enamel, I can't find anything on the can that says.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just painted my headlights using krylon fusion and it diedin like 10 minutes. Idn what to tell ya.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had any problems with Fusion other than this, but after 5 days now it was still tacky. I stripped all the paint off, re-prepped, and put down some Rustoleum primer. It dried fine, now I've got 1 coat of regular Rustoleum on, and it is dry and ready for coat 2.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
One of two problems...old paint/bad lot OR the type plastic you sprayed is chemically reacting to the paint. The only way to fix it is either to remove the paint OR you could try baking it on. Use your oven and set the temp to the lowest setting -- BELOW 200 -- is best and let the item get hot. Then take it out and let it cool before touching...I recommend removing the paint.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
when i painted my headight housing with krylon fusion gloss black baking them changed the whole look of the paint. When i was done painting them, the paint dried to a very very slight glossly black, more flat black the glossy. Then i put the lights into the oven to heat up the adhesive... The paint was so ****in glossy after i took it out, and it dried like that. My paint looks like is still wet its so glossy. Just an FYI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.