Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Will only work if 05/06. 07+ is not compatible. 15hp with a tune roughly. Youd need valve springs

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

There are also cheaper cams elsewhere

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TTR: Competition Cams Chevrolet Cavalier/Cobalt 2.2L Ecotec 2002-06 - Engine Internals

-Street (Stage 1) Applications power from 2600-6800rpm .423 intake and .419 exhaust valve lift, 252 intake and 256 exhaust duration advertized (210 intake and 212 exhaust @ .050" duration) Works best with computer modifications not required.

-Street & Strip (Stage 2) Applications power from 3000-7500rpm .440 intake and .436 exhaust valve lift, 258 intake and 262 exhaust duration advertized (216 intake and 218 exhaust @ .050" duration) Requires computer modifications

-Street & Strip high RPM (Stage 3) Applications power from 3500-8000rpm .456 intake and .453 exhaust lift, 264 intake and 268 exhaust duration advertized (222 intake and 224 exhaust @ .050" duration) Requires computer modification very strong power over 5000 RPM
At the moment, the going price is $500. I would assume stage 1 would be optimum because even with a tune, 6800 RPM is quite high, and the point where it starts to build power is low enough to make it useful for DD'ing.

Couldn't find anything from Thmotorsports.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good. Now I have to look into valve springs.

75lb should do it? And while I'm there, would I be able to fit oversized valves in without having to machine the ports? Would there be any gains off that?

Questions, questions. Sorry if I'm making you feel like you're on trial lol

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Oversized valves in stock sized ports, just think about that for a second and it should answer your question.

I wouldn't bother unless you get stage 3 or blower/turbo cams.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
What would the idle be like on a stage III cam, and would I be safely able to hit 8k RPM even with 75# valve springs?
Idle is set by whoever tunes it.

You can bump the idle speed to make the idle smoother. That's the common practice. I had mine set at 625~ for quite some time, but eventually bumped it to 875.

Plus, very lopey cam choices and low RPM idle speed, as show in my video here...are hated for cold starts and for long periods of time possibly can do damage because of lack of oil pressure during the open loop process.

I did it just because it sounded ****ing awesome. I also ported my oil galleys/pathways in the front cover, and used a stronger spring/plunger in my accumulator for the filter housing. Not sure how that would work on the Ecotec, though.

Cold Start-Up Thrasher Cam Video by bluegtp03 | Photobucket

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That does sound good, despite the poor sound quality on my phone. So, would running a faster idle speed cancel the low oil pressure problem with aggressive cams? Say, 1.5k rpms?

Or could I just get around it by using my block heater?

My priority would be power and durability. I'm prepared to take a hit in the sound and fuel economy equation if necessary.

Trifecta told me not to bother with cams as it would ''make your car run like crap''

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.