Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a better gauge face and new LED lights just need to know...
How do I change the crappy less bright stock bulbs from my gauge cluster and control/climate dash to install my Brighter LED lights to my 2006 LS Balt. Please help , sorry am not a pro at these stuff.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just gotta pop out the dash trim on both sides of the steering wheel a.d unscrew a bunch of screws and pull the cluster out. Once it's out there will be a couple of screws that hold the lense piece on. Remove those and you can take it completely apart. It's actually very simple just wished that I had pictures.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the description, but yes a tutorial guide video or pictures would really be helpful.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Just gotta pop out the dash trim on both sides of the steering wheel a.d unscrew a bunch of screws and pull the cluster out. Once it's out there will be a couple of screws that hold the lense piece on. Remove those and you can take it completely apart. It's actually very simple just wished that I had pictures.
You left out that all the bulbs in the cluster AND hvac controls have to be de soldered and re soldered

making this sound like its all plug and play for new bulbs when its not

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Thank you for the description, but yes a tutorial guide video or pictures would really be helpful.
search...

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/electrical/34778-how-replace-instrument-cluster-add-led.html

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Seems his method is a bit complicated to me. Why not just replace the bulbs by 12 volt LEDs? That's what I did in blue just now just to prove a point.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Hummm. It took me all of 20 minutes to do this including taking pictures and not one comment. Here are the LEDs I used.

Red arrows indicate positive

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
SlyFox How did you make out?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Slick method on the needle location. Do you just pull straight up and not twist them off? Or does the shaft itself stay where it needs to?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It's pretty much impossible for the shafts not to move. So one trick is to bring them to their furthest counter clockwise position (Or detent) and mark 'em. I have a special tool to pull the needles where all you need is to twist it a little and it pops off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really liked this post but I have a question do you have to replace the face plate when you change the bulb color or can you use your stock face plate ? My car is orange i wonder if they make orange led bulbs and how it would look thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
thank you I ordered the lights and asked my friend Doug if he can bring the cluster and a soldering iron up to me I just hope I don't get into trouble doing it in the hospital :wondering:

·
Registered
266 Posts
thank you I ordered the lights and asked my friend Doug if he can bring the cluster and a soldering iron up to me I just hope I don't get into trouble doing it in the hospital :wondering:
lol youll be fine, its not like your making a fire in the middle of the room and starting a smithy!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm so excited my orange led's were delivered to me today so I'm going to start on it tomorrow and hope I don't get into trouble doing it here :worried:

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Remember LEDs have a polarity

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Just follow post 6 of this thread and you should be good! Bend the leads as shown and you can surface mount them.

Red arrows indicate positive

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SlyFox How did you make out?
I haven't changed it yet, weather's been too cold and not sure if I want to go through all this just for brighter lights.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts