Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 cobalt Lt 2dr and im installing led strips under my dash. Im planning on tapping in to one of the wires that controls the dash panel dimmer knob to the left of the steering wheel to get current for the led strips and i'm also going to hook up a switch to it. the wires are stashed behind the tiny glove box/ashtray thing to the left of the steering wheel that also houses the trunk release button. There are 3 wires there: a black one with a white stripe, and orange one, and a grey one. I'm just wondering which one is the ground wire and which one would be the right on to tap in to. any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you are planning on tapping into the dimmer knob potentiometer itself, don't. That is a low current level control going to the BCM. What you need to tap is the output circuit going to the bulbs. That wire is on "C3" pin "B12" of the BCM. It's the two gray wires to the far right of the big red connector row "B". (Row "A" is bottom row and "D" is upper row) ( 1 is to the left 12 is to the right)I will edit this post with more details as I find it and convert a few files.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm not sure if you're also looking to be able to dim your LED's, but they do sell dimmers and dimmers with an on/off switch.

I connected mine with a fuse tap on one of my accessory fuses, but Coby would know the best route.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well this gray wire supplies the voltage for your instrument bulb, hazard bulb, HVAC bulbs and the shifter bulbs, so they all dim at the same time with dimmer control knob. If you want your LED strips to dim with these then this is your best option. You can use any chassis ground for the other side of your LED strip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a friend of mine also suggested tapping in to the trunk release button wires. There's a yellow and a green wire behind the small glovebox/ashtray connected directly to the trunk release button so he suggested tapping the yellow one, connecting it to my switch that i bought, and then completing the circuit by connecting my lights to the switch and tapping in to the green wire at the end.

Also, i just bought the car so im not sure where the BCM is located, if anyone could enlighten me

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
:suspicious:If your going to listen to your expert friends why bother asking here? There is no voltage in the trunk release switch.
Rear Compartment Lid Release Switch Pin Wire Circuit Function.

A 0.35 BK/WH 651 Ground
B -- -- Not Used
C 0.35 TN 1576 Rear Compartment Lid Release Switch Signal
D -- -- Not Used

BCM is located on passenger side of center console.

And there is no 12 volt on the dimmer pot.

I/P Dimmer Switch
Pin Wire Circuit Function
A-B -- -- Not Used
C 0.35 PU 719 Low Reference
D 0.35 D-GN 44 Instrument Panel Lamp Dimmer Switch Signal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i never said i was going to listen to them, i'm simply gathering all the information i can in order to make the best decision

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OK then, If you want your LED strip to dim with instrument panel tap your positive to the gray wire mentioned above and ground to chassis ground through your switch. If you just want ignition power use a fuse tap to your wiper fuse on BCM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks very much. I think im going to hook it up so that it dims with the instrument panel. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just one more question, in your first post on this thread you mentioned that there were two grey wires. Does it matter which one i tap in to?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just one more question, in your first post on this thread you mentioned that there were two grey wires. Does it matter which one i tap in to?
No, one wire goes to intrument panel,hazard light and HVAC the other to auto shifter. So you might just have the one wire if you have a manual. Since you never said manual or auto I assumed auto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
followed your advice and it turned out great. Got it hooked up so that it can be dimmed with the knob to dim my instrument panel. Here's a picture if anyone's interested:

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Good show

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread but to take this a step further, what would I tap into to run LEDs into the back seat area? I have a sunroof so no dome light. Would want them to come on when the doors are open. Planning on doing this before winter. To dark back there!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Just reading this thread right now, quickly, I see nothing about the dome light...

Simply doing the same thing, but adding additional strips in the rear should work out fine.

If you were talking about a combination of power supplies, you will be out of luck, the instrument panel and dome light have opposite polarity control wires, its simply not possible, not simply anyway.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.