Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The led bulbs are on the left, the stock bulbs are on the right, what do you guys think? Also a pic of my taillights, the left side is wrapped all the way around the right side is still waiting for the led to come from china

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
whos left? Im assuming passenger. looks a bit duller and yellower

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
lol k i feel like an idiot now... don't know how i missed that. guess i wasn't paying too much attention

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
so you're running LED bulbs in the tailights? I just bought new LED taillights and I'm wondering how to go about fixing the fast flash rate. Did you have to deal with that? I wanted to get a new flasher but it looks like you can't do that with the new Cobalts. I may have to go with a load resistor at the bulb itself.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
so you're running LED bulbs in the tailights? I just bought new LED taillights and I'm wondering how to go about fixing the fast flash rate. Did you have to deal with that? I wanted to get a new flasher but it looks like you can't do that with the new Cobalts. I may have to go with a load resistor at the bulb itself.
Resistor = the answer. Not too hard to wire.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
You need a load resistor to keep the flash rate normal...they are easy to install, but I don't want to hack the wiring on my car, so I am waiting and hoping that someone comes up with something built in to the bulbs (on CSS there is an LED "switchback" style light that goes from white/clear to orange/amber for the turn signal...).

The company making them is working on getting it with a resistor built-in. They are for the front signals only though...they'll be something like $50 or 60 for the set. Worth it in my opinion.

2 more things...first you should always use the same color LED as lens...so if it's a brake light...red LED, if it's a reverse then white, if it's amber use amber...they work better that way. Second, LED's are NOT as bright as bulbs just in case anyone thought otherwise.

I'm trying to find out of this will work on Cobalt's...if it does, then that's your fix (I am thinking it probably doesn't though)... http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Electronic-Flashers/GM-ELECTRONIC-LED-FLASHER-p5189343.html

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I'm trying to find out of this will work on Cobalt's...if it does, then that's your fix (I am thinking it probably doesn't though)... GM ELECTRONIC LED FLASHER BLINKER FIX W/CLICK SOUND
I'm thinking that won't work. I'm pretty sure the Cobalt's don't have a "flasher" at all. I think the flash rate is controlled through the BCM. I looked everywhere for a flasher on mine and no luck. I bought my led tails as an assembly but they didn't come with built in resistors, there is some extra wiring on the new taillights so that I can splice in resistors there instead of into the factory wiring so that should be fine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
^I haven't really looked at the fuse panels yet, but I have been doing some looking around online...I figured that wouldn't be the answer, but was still hoping it could be.

Unfortunately for me, I don't want aftermarket lights, I just want my headlights painted black and will Nite-Shade my tails...would just install LED's in the factory lights. Not sure about the tails anymore anyway being that I'm Nite-Shading...will have to see how dark I decide to go...since the LEDs won't show through as well as regular bulbs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.