Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying either a couple surface mount LEDs or LED strip lights to put under my dash. I'm thinking I only want them on when the dome light is on, what would be the best way to wire them? Also is there any way I could install a switch with them wired that way so I can turn on the lights if I want them on without the dome light?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw on another forum where it says to"Splice the positive wires from the lights to the blue (with white stripe) wire which is in the third hole from the left, very bottom. Then splice the negative wire to the gray wire which is in the third hole from the right, very bottom." Is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That's A3 and A10 of C3

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I just saw on another forum where it says to"Splice the positive wires from the lights to the blue (with white stripe) wire which is in the third hole from the left, very bottom. Then splice the negative wire to the gray wire which is in the third hole from the right, very bottom." Is that correct?
Lol it's like a different language right? Listen to coby, he knows everything about everything and will help you through just about anything.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well then you are going to need 2 diodes, tie both anodes to the negative side of the LEDs or strip. One cathode will go to ground through your switch the other one will go to A10.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then you are going to need 2 diodes, tie both anodes to the negative side of the LEDs or strip. One cathode will go to ground through your switch the other one will go to A10.
I'm not very good with electrical terminology. Can you simplify (more like dumbify) this for me please?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sorry it took so long, I had to draw it out for you. I can't possibly go any dummer than this. So you might have to ask somebody else if this doesn't work.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

I'm kidding you can ask any questions.....lol

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Here are the 2 diodes in question that you will need to add.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

This is a diode, gray line or bar is the cathode.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry it took so long, I had to draw it out for you. I can't possibly go any dummer than this. So you might have to ask somebody else if this doesn't work.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

I'm kidding you can ask any questions.....lol

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Here the 2 diodes in question that you will need to add.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

This is a diode, gray line or bar is the cathode.

I'm slowly starting to understand it. I'm thinking I'll just show this to my uncle who is a mechanic and see if he will be willing to help. Thanks for the diagram, it'll help a ton!

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

This is exactly how I wired mine. If you have an questions pm me
PM has been sent.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Diodes are needed so you don't turn the dome light on when you turn on your courtesy lights with switch.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Diodes are needed so you don't turn the dome light on when you turn on your courtesy lights with switch.
The way I have mine wired I don't use dome light power because I don't have one. I wired positive up to a constant 12v. One side of a 3-way switch to the door switch ground in the red plug, and the other ground to a screw under the dash to the other side of the switch with one wire coming off the switch going to both lights

·
Registered
191 Posts
The way I have mine wired I don't use dome light power because I don't have one. I wired positive up to a constant 12v. One side of a 3-way switch to the door switch ground in the red plug, and the other ground to a screw under the dash to the other side of the switch with one wire coming off the switch going to both lights
I just came in to research LED wiring. Ordered 2 12" LED strips a few minutes ago. I'm going to use them to get some light into my backseat area (no dome light). I'll check tomorrow but I don't think my light switch has a function to control a dome light because there isn't one there.

I haven't decided if I want to wire them to come on when the doors open or just put them on a switch. If I do go with a switch, I'm thinking about mounting a small toggle under the center console. It would be out of sight and all I would have to do is reach under and flip it on if I need them on. Make tap tap into the power supply that is right below that. So it would be two wire taps, pull that plug out and tape into power/ground there them put the power plug back in. feed the wires to where the switch is then continue them back to the lights. I don't do much electrical wiring. Am I correct with this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just came in to research LED wiring. Ordered 2 12" LED strips a few minutes ago. I'm going to use them to get some light into my backseat area (no dome light). I'll check tomorrow but I don't think my light switch has a function to control a dome light because there isn't one there.

I haven't decided if I want to wire them to come on when the doors open or just put them on a switch. If I do go with a switch, I'm thinking about mounting a small toggle under the center console. It would be out of sight and all I would have to do is reach under and flip it on if I need them on. Make tap tap into the power supply that is right below that. So it would be two wire taps, pull that plug out and tape into power/ground there them put the power plug back in. feed the wires to where the switch is then continue them back to the lights. I don't do much electrical wiring. Am I correct with this?

Thanks!
Sounds right

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now the question is.. What are some good sites to buy them off of? Superbrightleds.com seems to have good customer service but prices are higher than some other sites I've seen.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm curious to see how y'all wire yours. I'm bout to put some in my trunk instead of the weak light and some under my front seat just not sure where

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will Zener diodes work or do I need a different type? I wanna find out before I open these and can't return them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.