Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new HIDs and some LED strips. YAY. of course i have pics. The HIDs are 35W 8000k High and Low, though they arent as blue as i wanted but they still look like sex. And i got two strips of blue LEDs in the engine bay. Also put blue conduit around my extra wires and sanded/wet sanded the valve cover to help shine it up.

The HIDs

The Engine bay, though you cant see the conduit or valve cover

Now I do have one question, the ballasts came with double sided stick junk to mount them, and they dont have anywhere for screws to mount. But the heat from the engine bay is making them not stick, so when i was driving one of the ballasts fell off! I had to stop in the road and stick it on.

So what can I do to mount the ballasts so they dont fall off, even when heat is present???

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
You can get what we call standoff clamps in any auto parts stores, they are basically clamps to keep wireharness from chafing each other, they have a way that you can use a screw or bolt to fasten them to a piece of metal each other etc.
get them in the appropriate size for the wire on each side of the ballast and drill holes where you want them and then use screws to mount one on each side of the ballast and hold the ballast in place.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if i would have to install a type of mount for them, thats a pain. But will the wire clamp work? The ballast only has wires on the one side. looks like this.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

obviously the top piece there has wire plugged into it so theres two wires coming out of the one side

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
One clamp MAY work depending on where it is mounted on the car, wsould definitely use the permanent wire to the box tro mount though.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah may be enough along with the sticky stuff, if i do that with the other ballast that didnt fall off ill have to rotate it bc the wire are on the top, im dissappointed with my 5mp hero camera in the dark, the pics are blurry, cant see the HIDs very well

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I used double face tape. the good 3M stuff. check my show off thread to see how I mounted them if you want. the pics are in there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok ill check it out, maybe its my mounting position that im having a problem with heat....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have engine bay LEDs, interior footwell LEDs, and Neon underglow. I think suspension lights are overkill.

Im not sure if i can use zip ties, cus my ballast looks like the one i posted in the pic. If it had at least two corner mounts for screws i would zip tie through that....

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

Blaze i looked and finally found the pics on like page 20 somehting, and yeah i notice the slim ballast, but im going to try and mount them under the headlight still somehow, ill take it out tomorrow and see if i can find a place.. near or under the headlight is definitely a good place for the double stick bc that wont get hot and it sits flat

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Yes just stick it under the headlight with double sided tape even if the tape breaks loose that ballast inst going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok this is where i put them on both sides

and heres another pic of the HIDs with a little less glare

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Soooooooooo, another question with my HIDs. The right one is at a good height, and when i turn the birghts on they lift and the light goes farther. But the driver side, the left, is lower than the right, too low, and when i turn the brights on it doesnt really get better, i can see it is still pointing at the ground right in front of the car.

Is there a way for me to get the left light up? My stratus lights had adjusters that i could adjust up/down and left/right, but it doesnt look like i can do that with the balt lights. Should i try rotating the HID bulb? Im open for suggestions

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

bump bc i might have to go back out tonight and it bothers me when im driving. I like symmetry

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.