Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kid at work told me i should get a lightweight crank pullie. What would i benifit from getting one? Where would i get one? And how would i install it?

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
You probably would see a small performance gain. I know with tires it's something like however much weight you're turning is like having double that sitting in the car, eg: 4 15lb rims is like having 120 lbs sitting in the car. I don't know what it works out to being on the crankshaft but the principle is generally the same. It's just less weight that you're trying to move and so more power available for moving the car.

·
Registered
745 Posts
they wouldnt make a part that would put the engine under jeopardy of failing. if every crank pulley broke a car, they wouldnt make em.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
personal choice. Had the UDP pulley in my 07 SS/NA and the 2nd owner still has it in...no problems with it.

I chose the UDP to slow the alternator and AC compressor down (about 10% slower revs then stock size pulley) -- the same size light weight pulley doesn't do this.

Replacing the Harmonic balancer isn't the best way to go -- but I have worked on Toyota engines that had both -- same size engines some had solid steel crank pulleys and some had harmonic balancers -- and you could swap them out! Never had problems with them either -- replaced a bad harmonic balancer on a '92 Toyota truck with a solid steel one out of a junkyard back in 2001. The owner still drives the truck today -- and he has been on 900 mile one-way trips!!!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
they wouldnt make a part that would put the engine under jeopardy of failing. if every crank pulley broke a car, they wouldnt make em.
Really?? If not done properly, nitrous, turbos and superchargers can blow an engine. And there are many other parts that can cause damge to a car, not to mention all the parts that are illegal to install on a car but are made. Its all about money.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Again, I'll ask the question since NO Has answered!!!

Don't our Ecotec Engines Have DUAL Balance SHAFTS inside the BLOCK??? Thus Eliminating the NEED For a Harmonic Dampener???
Yes, they have balance shafts to counter engine vibrations. The Harmonic Balancer is still there to help with Crankshaft vibrations. I don't feel like writing an essay on HBs...you can do some serious research on them if you want to.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I guess I'll get a pic of my "Harmonic Dampener" since mine is looking like it is solid steel. I just thought since I read up on the Engine when I bought the car and it said dual balance shafts to cancel out engine vibrations meant it eliminated the need for a HD.

But if you guys say keep it, do they make any Harmonic Dampeners that are lightweight and/or smaller???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.