Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just installed a aftermarket head unit, without the harness adapter, and the car wont start at all. thinking it might be the battery, tried bump starting it. it starts, but all power is lost and car dies. idk whats going on.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

bump for help please

·
Registered
547 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of something like that happening before. If you can't get any help here, you may want to call an audio shop and ask them. They may know the answer to your question.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Why did you not use the harness? Also since you didn't use the harness how did you connect things?

Also that is not LIMP MODE, that is dead mode. Limp Mode is the reduced power mode that the car will go into, when you screw something up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did you not use the harness? Also since you didn't use the harness how did you connect things?

Also that is not LIMP MODE, that is dead mode. Limp Mode is the reduced power mode that the car will go into, when you screw something up.
because i'd rather not spend a hundred dollars on a harness when you should be able to splice the wires together like i've done a dozen times to other cars..

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
No harness at all??? Or just not the $100+ GM Lan harness?? If you did a complete hardwire, that could be exactly your problem is. Unlike other cars, we use the Class 2 Data Bus, which could cause issues if the wrong thing was cut. Good luck to you though, and hopefully its something simpler than that. And yes, this is not limp mode.

·
Registered
960 Posts
The GM LAN system that the cobalts have is a pretty complex system. There are a lot of other components that all run together. There really is no way to hardwire a radio in the cobalts. Also when you try to hard wire a radio, the color of the wirse do not always match up, thus causing problems. You may want to get the Haynes repair manual, and fix your mistake.

If you want some here is a list of the wires/color and what they are.

From the radio to the Radio Antenna Module:
Antenna Signal - Coax and NCA

From The Radio To The Speakers:
RR Speaker Out (+) - Dark Blue
RR Speaker Out (-) - Light Blue
LR Speaker Out (+) - Brown
LR Speaker Out (-) - Yellow
RF Speaker Out (+) -Dark Green
RF Speaker Out (-) - Light Green
LF Speaker Out (+) - Grey
LF Speaker Out (-) - Tan

From The Radio To The Inflatebale Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil (Steering Wheel Audio Controls)
Steerin Wheel Control Signal Wire - Dark Blue
10V Ref - White/Black

From The Radio To The Interior Lights System:
Lamp Supply Voltage Wire - Grey

From the Radio to the BCM:
Battery Wire - Red/White

From the Radio to Ground:
Ground - Black/White

From the radio to Vehicle Communitaction Interface Module (If Equipped):
Cell Voice Signal - Orange/Black
Cell Volce Low Ref - Pink/Black

I hope this helps you start getting things figured out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No harness at all??? Or just not the $100+ GM Lan harness?? If you did a complete hardwire, that could be exactly your problem is. Unlike other cars, we use the Class 2 Data Bus, which could cause issues if the wrong thing was cut. Good luck to you though, and hopefully its something simpler than that. And yes, this is not limp mode.
i have a harness, its to the radio, but i didnt buy the PAC GM Radio Integration Adapter...

·
Registered
802 Posts
i dont have harness.. the harness is not necessary if you no what your doing.. check your iginition fuse inside the car i had this happen to me once but from something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.