Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i recently bought a 2010 2lt coupe with 14,500 miles on it. when i first got it the grille was missing but it was pictured in the online pics of it. so they dealer installed a new grille and said it must have gotten stolen. so they let me drive a sedan lt. the sedan lt ran smooth and didnt make any noises or any issues. since ive had my car for about a week, there are a couple issues/concerns with it

i noticed that many GM cars have a flat piece of plastic under the front behind the bumper, i was told this was direct the air to cool off the car, my car is a 2lt and i dont see a piece like that on it. the sedan i was loaned had one. i wasnt sure if it came with one from the factory or not. the concern is about cooling,because i was driving back getting an alignment and after about 2 mins of cruising on the highway at speeds of up to 40 and a few red lights, the coolant temp started climbing high, it got to 217.the temp outside was about 60. i called the dealer and they said this is fine. seems a bit high to me.

i also hear a slight hissing noise on the right side of the car when i apply the gas, when i put cruise on i dont hear it, only when accelerating i hear a slight low hissing sound, i didnt hear this on the sedan so im concerned.

i got an alignment done the other day(the same day the coolant temp was high) and the place said i should bring it by the dealer and have them replace the brake hoses. i thought it was normal for a car to pull to the left or right when braking and the tires tracking on an uneven road. i was thinking it could be since the car comes with 17s stock? is this normal?

i know this is long and maybe im nit picking but i wont be comfortable till i fix these things
-thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2010 Cobalt coupe also has 17 inch Pirelli tires but they run true. Also my coolent temp is displayed as 187 degrees, so if your car is running that hot something is wrong.Not sure about the hissing noise, sounds like it might be a vacuum leak.
Make sure the air pressure is correct, and the cooling system is full. My car does not have anything sticking down to direct air into the radiator. I've seen that on older cars like my 92 Camero that I once owned. Don't worry about that, it's not needed but your other issues need to be corected.

·
Registered
429 Posts
hes not exactly complaining,hes wondering if things on his car should be the way they are cause they wernt like that way when he was loaned a sedan. but it does sound like he pretty much got ripped off. but if i were you id actually think about taking it to another chevy dealer,gettin everything checked out,getting a estimated price to fix everything and then take it to the dealer that sold th car and make them fix it all and if they dont u could be lookin to sue or somtin

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
i noticed that many GM cars have a flat piece of plastic under the front behind the bumper, i was told this was direct the air to cool off the car, my car is a 2lt and i dont see a piece like that on it. the sedan i was loaned had one. i wasnt sure if it came with one from the factory or not. the concern is about cooling,because i was driving back getting an alignment and after about 2 mins of cruising on the highway at speeds of up to 40 and a few red lights, the coolant temp started climbing high, it got to 217.the temp outside was about 60. i called the dealer and they said this is fine. seems a bit high to me.
It's called an air dam, and yeah, your car should have had one. It may have been knocked off by running up on a curb, or removed by a dumb dumb. I would replace it, as your temp does seem a little high for it only being 60 degrees outside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That sucks man. I seem to have a hissing noise myself, but it's not always hissing... I can't figure out where it's coming from either, it's the phantom hiss! Hope you get all your stuff sorted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
if this is a 2010 with only 14,500 miles some of your issues should be covered by the warranty and as one of the readers suggested...take it to another chevy dealer ... find out whats wrong... and get the selling dealer to fix these issues... you shouldn't have this many issues on a newer car.. i am sure you paid enough so that you can enjoy your purchase. good luck dude!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if this is a 2010 with only 14,500 miles some of your issues should be covered by the warranty and as one of the readers suggested...take it to another chevy dealer ... find out whats wrong... and get the selling dealer to fix these issues... you shouldn't have this many issues on a newer car.. i am sure you paid enough so that you can enjoy your purchase. good luck dude!!
yes thats what i was thinking, thats why i bought it lol.
ill bring it in monday to a dealer
im kind of skeptical about the dealer being able to fix the braking and wheel turning problem, i had the same problem with my last car(lancer)

im still wondering about that hissing low sound when giving it gas. sounds like the gas is just being fed. maybe the car is just lowly insulated ? lol

the bottom deflector im still not sure because im getting mixed answers. anyone out there with a 2lt that knows for sure and can show me a pic?

in this pic, #14 is the piece i think i need, this is for lt

since the 2lt has the SS front bumper i looked at the SS illustration and it seems to be piece #16

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

With the air dam missing and the car pulling it sounds like it might have been wreaked.
Did anything show up on the car fax report?
The 17 inch wheels will not cause the car to pull to side.
Also check you tire pressures. If one side is low that till cause it to pull.
nope, its a clean title, it was a rental car before it was sold to a dealer

the tires are 1-2 psi off in the front, whenever i brake, it tracks the grooves in the road and the wheel will turn up to 90 degress to the right or left on its own and i have to re adjust before accelerating. i had this same problem on a lancer and they said it was the brake hoses and sticking caliper. i replaced those and the problem was still there. i bought this car and now its the same shit lol

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

tht sounds screwed up,alot of tht sounds like they just gave you a bad deal,and im pretty sure the biggist wheel sizes tht come on cobalts are 16s

they are factory Pirellis and 17 inch factory wheels.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
the concern is about cooling,because i was driving back getting an alignment and after about 2 mins of cruising on the highway at speeds of up to 40 and a few red lights, the coolant temp started climbing high, it got to 217.the temp outside was about 60. i called the dealer and they said this is fine. seems a bit high to me.
The car seem like it's getting really hot at lights and at low speeds, mine stays cooler running at 130mph in 90 degree weather than it does at a redlight...regardless, the heat your seeing is a little excessive, also the hissing you may be hearing might be the intake, not sure I haven't had my stock intake on in so long...also it very well may be a line of some sort as said or even your intake manifold...I had this problem...CEL was on though. regardless good luck. . .the day you realize it's a cheap Cobalt and not a Lexus, and just blare the music to tone out the sounds your life will be peachy...haha

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The car seem like it's getting really hot at lights and at low speeds, mine stays cooler running at 130mph in 90 degree weather than it does at a redlight...regardless, the heat your seeing is a little excessive, also the hissing you may be hearing might be the intake, not sure I haven't had my stock intake on in so long...also it very well may be a line of some sort as said or even your intake manifold...I had this problem...CEL was on though. regardless good luck. . .the day you realize it's a cheap Cobalt and not a Lexus, and just blare the music to tone out the sounds your life will be peachy...haha
i already know :laugh:

and thanks. i was thinking about getting the GM CAI later on anyway.

im starting to think that the place i had the alignment done.. ran the shit out it and thats why when i hopped in it was so high

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reply to Dtowngreg,
Greg, I have a 2010 Cobalt LT coupe that does not have that piece on the front grill, and so far it does not run hot. The temp says 187. I did go by my local dealer and look at a 2010 Cobalt 4 door and it did have a black plastic piece like the one shown in part 16 above. But it was a 4 door and did not have fog lights and the entire front of the car looks different from my 2010 LT coupe. They did not have any coupes for me to look at, but for now, I don't think it's susposed to be on the 2010 model. Does anyone have a 2010 coupe that has the black grille extension on the bottom?

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
The fan is not programmed to kick on until 217* F.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

and it kicks off at 190*F

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

This is normal, People just never notice it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah ive been monitoring it, 217 is still high but its doing what its set to do so its fine
and i was told by the dealer that it doesnt have a plastic air deflector on it

·
Registered
84 Posts
The piece in those diagrams is the lip for an ss/sc or an ss/tc, the other models do not come with them stock. I have a 2006 ls coupe and it does have a black plastic piece underneath the front bumper, but a lot of the base models come with a different front bumper to begin with and Im not sure if the front bumper you have comes with one.

217 is definetly high, my 2.2 ran at 192* all summer in 110+ degree weather. If your wheels are turning up to 90* under braking, I doubt thats being caused by the rim size. Id agree with the person that said bring it to a different dealer and get it checked out

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just like Riot said above...

I decided to add another reply instead of editing my first. I did some more research on the front air dam. My 2010 2LT coupe did not come with one either. I went to both local dealers and found that none of the 2010 2LT coupes have that part. The 2010 Cobalt SS does come standard with an air dam that looks a little like a NASCAR splitter. In other words it also has a flat part on the bottom. This is part of the lower ground effects package that is standard on the 2010 SS, but the dealer said it is a dealer installed option on the 2LT. I like my car like it is so I'm not going to have it added. Another difference on the SS is that where my 2LT came with polished 17 inch wheels the 2010 SS comes with 18 inch wheels. They gave me a 2010 Cobalt broshure that also shows this info in text and pictures. The used Cobalts on the lot 2009 and older (even the coupes) did have a type of air dam that ran around the bottom of the bumper.
The air dam that I seen on the older cars is just for looks and a don't think it would have any effect on cooling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.