Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
see, the downside to having a shop do a trifecta is that the closest one is 3 hours north in superior, wi. at least that's the only one that i know of. and if/when i plan on doing FI, there's no way i can get my car up there after i install everything without paying a thousand bucks for a flatbed up there. hp tuners is expensive as hell compared to trifecta for nearly the exact same gains, so i don't wanna blow 1000 bucks on a tune instead of 250 if i don't have to. i'm sure there's dyno's near me, would i be able to somewhat custom tune my car with FI and then go to a dyno and have them do the rest? the tune is the only thing that's really holding me back and keeping me skeptical about doing any kind of supercharging on my car, so that's why i kind of need these answers :/
You may have your answer already but let me give this for others who may need it as well. HP tuners is only expensive if you buy it, but having the ability to adjust your tune anytime you need to with your laptop is what makes it worth it. However, the only thing I don't really like about Trifecta, even tho they do great work, is the fact that you have to wait for the tunes to be re-written if they need it. And Trifecta last I knew could send you the tuner with the tune loaded on it and you can just hook it up and load the tune on your car yourself. No need to have a shop do it, the only problem with the trifecta way of doing it, is that you never know what they are doing to the tune and if an adjustment needs to be made you have to wait till the working hours for that to be made so you have downtime on your car, where HPtuners you can fix it right there on the spot. Just a simple the pleasure of availability to me. But honestly if you want to go trifecta, I don't discourage you from doing so, just know, for a shop to work on your car, especially if it's custom (believe me I had a custom turbo setup on my cobalt), having the ease of being able to adjust things on the spot after the build is finished, will make it 10 times easier on the shop to make the vehicle safer to roll out. A lot of shops that are good won't roll a custom car out without knowing it's running correctly.

I hate to sound dumb, but what is are the BAR3 maps?

Anyone every have trouble with the stock blow off valve spring being to weak after getting a tune done?
BAR 3 MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensors are what help your computer see exactly how much air pressure you're running in your engine. Now BAR sensors range from 1-5 on most gasoline cars, but go higher on diesels. The SS/TC cobalts came with BAR 2 Map sensors, which can only read so much boost, and after you reach it's max, the ECU will start guessing on your fuel trims, thus throwing your fuel off. So the BAR 3 upgrade allows you to see up to 27-30 psi, depending on the brand, so your car can accurately adjust the fuel as needed to maintain a properly running engine.

Now as for the BPV (By-Pass Valve (the cobalt ss/tc's came with BPV, not BOV's :) )), I had issues with my BPV leaking after 18psi. I know Dejon makes BPV spring upgrades, and it puts a 22lb spring in there (good for 30psi btw), and is only a couple of bucks. It takes 3 bolts to take off from the BPV housing, take the spring out and put the new one in (not as easy as it sounds putting the new one in).

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I figured I'd put in some helpful info for those who may need it later.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Haha yea I definitely got my answer. Since I posted that, I supercharged it, blew it up, made it bulletproof and now I'm pulling on modded SS/tc's. Hpt is the way to go also. same cost if not cheaper if you can find a tuner near you.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Haha yea I definitely got my answer. Since I posted that, I supercharged it, blew it up, made it bulletproof and now I'm pulling on modded SS/tc's. Hpt is the way to go also. same cost if not cheaper if you can find a tuner near you.
True, or you can grab hp tuners for yourself and actually learn to tune yourself and start making some money by tuning people. That's what I did, and it made me some good money. Either way, HP tuners is NOT the way to go for the 2.2's tho. Last I knew they were not supported. But it has been a while so I could be wrong lol.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, it's been a LONG time since I've been on the forums for updated information, but I found that the LNF fuel table was unlocked this year. Wow, I really need to get back to tuning balts again! That means, bigger builds for sure!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Anyway we could meet 1/2 way when I'm in KY again? lol. I would come tune you np, but that's a LONG drive! If you had a way to get a logger/scanner and just send me the logs, I could tune you that way.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well if you can wait until the spring, my car will be up and running by then, and I'm sure I'll be able to take a trip out that way to help ya out. Getting time off work for me isn't too hard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 07 2.2l w/ sai & I'm looking @ the jet 68201 v force performance module & jet maf 69143 power flow maf is this a good idea for my auto w/ a injen cai & dna cat back exaust installed already. If this is no good can i get an explanation on why & what would be a good tune for me in that price range & I'll be able to adjust after future mods. Header, downpipe, cat deleted if i can get around the ny obd2 emissions inspection. $ for the 2 is around 350$ & do i even need to replace the maf w/ a performance module?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Performance chips don't work on these cars.
Honestly, you really aren't going to NEED a tune unless you boost it.

But say you swap an le5 throttle body, intake manifold, and full exhaust. You wont see the full gain unless you do tune it. And like I said, it isn't needed, but its beneficial.

Also, the cat delete sounds horrible on these cars. Seriously, youtube it. Get a high flow cat instead.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Chips do not work. Period.

Tunes however, do. Unfortunately, this not being a Honda, your options are limited. You've got Trifecta and HP Tuners. Normally, a tune is the last thing you do after you've collected and installed all your bolt-ons. This is done as a money saving measure, as it costs a fair deal to tune and retune a car after each mod. If you're staying NA, I'd wait until you've got an upgraded throttle body (LE5 or LSJ), the 2.4 (LE5) intake manifold and a header/downpipe (ZZP Midlength w/200 cell cat is always my recommendation) before pulling the trigger on a tune. Expect to see in and around 150whp on a fully bolted '07 L61 setup. It'll never be fast per say, but if you rework the suspension and get a set of sticky tires, it'll definitely be fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The mid length would be good for a n/a set up. Mine will probably be for sale soon since I am trying to get a bit more aggressive with my m62.

And getting tune is expensive. A tune and dyno ran me 550. Getting retuned is around 200.
At that rate, I may as well buy hpt and learn to tune myself.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts