Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cardboard intake heat shield! Eventually I'll paint it but hey it's a cheap mod! Dunno if it really makes a difference but I'm sure to SOME degree it does cause it is blocking SOME heat lol. I mean since I can't use a k&n heat shield so had to make do.. lol

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not really just some i found laying around from a box

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
what happened to the heat shield that you had, i mean in your sig it has a picture of one on your engine
That's the gmpp air box. I found out it's a major restriction. The way I have it now I gained 2mpg 100% city driving. Now I get 21mpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
Cardboard intake heat shield! Eventually I'll paint it but hey it's a cheap mod! Dunno if it really makes a difference but I'm sure to SOME degree it does cause it is blocking SOME heat lol. I mean since I can't use a k&n heat shield so had to make do.. lol
You should go and get something that will withstand the heat that you can attach to that area, like parts off your original airbox or something. I just see "fire" in your future. :eek:h:[/FONT]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Im OSHA qualified and I believe thats a fire hazard lol you should paint it with some high heat.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cardboard???? Serious???? Dude.... That IMO just blows the whole look/feel of your engine. Go and get something that will withstand the heat that you can attach to that area, like parts off your original airbox or something. I just see "fire" in your future. :eek:h:
well i said i'd paint it... but i dont think it could go on fire it wasn't hot to the touch at all. and i don't know where to find just a heat shield from the k&n so what else could i use lol

Where did you get the carbon fiber thing in front of the fuse box?!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had a local company make it for me but they kinda ****ed it up

Im OSHA qualified and I believe thats a fire hazard lol you should paint it with some high heat.
but if it wasn't hot to the touch...?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dude just get some sheet metal cut to spec have somone measure their heat shield and mock one up then you can paint it whatever color you want and wont have any issues and it would look better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dude just get some sheet metal cut to spec have somone measure their heat shield and mock one up then you can paint it whatever color you want and wont have any issues and it would look better.
or even just use your cardboard one for a template to cut from, and i would suggest using sheet aluminum, that way you wont have to worry about rust, or stainless steel if you can find some

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
where do i go to do that? does it cost a lot? cause I have no $$

·
Registered
317 Posts
you should do it yourself, go to the local tractor supply, if you have one, and pick up a sheet of metal, preferably stainless steel or aluminum. while your there i would also pick up some paint, a pop riveter, and some pop rivets. use your cardboard shield as a template to cut the metal, can be done with some tin snips or even scissors usually, use the edge of a table to get nice sharp bends. now that i think about it the pop rivets wouldnt be necessary unless you made it out of two or more separate peices and then put them all together

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds too complicated unless someone wants to fabricate some and sell on the forum. k&n style sheilds

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
After you get the box cut and made you can go to an auto parts store like Autozone or Advance and get a package of the self adhesive temp guard stuff and put on bothe sides of the box. I did that with my K&N Typhoon on the Balt and the K&N on my truck, and the airbox base on my Buell

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just go to any place like home depot for the sheet metal and just cut it with a tin snips and then just screw it into place. This is not complicated and much more safe than a piece of cardboard that could rip or fall and end up in your engine....

Come on man! Do it right!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.