Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have these $25 rotors from the local auto parts store and boy did they warp easy just driving normally on the freeway. I don't track the car so don't need anything high end. :thanks

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Buy the premium version of the rotors instead of the economy version. Economy rotors are made to get you by.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It's a cruel fact about car parts. I used to ask my customers if they wanted good parts or cheap parts. The two dont go together but you can do well with a medium grade part.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
And torque your wheels properly

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can judge a rotor quality by its weight usually. Heavier rotors with more material will definitely be better than the lighter ones.

And brake rotors don't actually warp (as in bend), its usually uneven pad deposits or other issues.

Warp is a common industry term though :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Make sure you use brake cleaner on the rotors to strip off the coating that prevents them from rusting on the store shelf. Make sure the hub is clean or the rotor won't sit evenly, causing vibration. My new rotors and pads had a little bit of a shimmy at first, but it went away. I'm using Brake Best pads and rotors from O'Reilly. So far, they've outlasted my old pads and rotors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rotors and pads!

I went to advance auto and got the regular 25$ wearever rotors and the thermoquiet pads. Ive only replaced the brakes on this car twice and replace rotors and pads each time. Second owner from an 06, so its been through alot. (130k miles) No rotor warps, no loss in braking from heated organic pads ect. Totally worth the money imo.
And not to mention i drive like a maniac and run a paper route with tons of starts and stops. =P

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
I've always run Raybestos Advanced Techs on my car, and they did decent, but I'd still "warp" them (in reality - they are "hotspots" - caused by deposits of pad material). My OEM rotors made it about 50k miles, replaced them with the Advanced Techs, had to turn those once after they got hot-spotted, and ran them longer, and then replaced them with the set on there now.

What I found to be the big issue causing them to hot-spot faster than you'd expect? Steel wheels. Traps the heat in. When I swapped to my 18s, it was noticeable how they didn't do what I, for years, had known them to. Lot more open space to dissipate heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.