Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cobalt is idling to the point where it wants to stall! I changed the fuel filter and i'm getting the battery tested tomorrow. I'm runnin out of options. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
462 Posts
My cobalt is idling to the point where it wants to stall! I changed the fuel filter and i'm getting the battery tested tomorrow. I'm runnin out of options. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time!
clean MAF and throttle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool! thanks, i read that on some other posts after i posted mine. I apologize for the repeat question.

I'm not very car smart, so, how do i clean the MAF and Throttle? Again i apologize for the car illiteracy.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Does it do this in Neutral/park? If not, then I would have your TCC solenoid checked.

To clean your maf and TB, I usually use Carb/Brake Clean

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it doesnt do it in neutral/park. just when i'm slowing down. I'm not good with cars at all. so i apologize for future frustration. MAF & TB...how do i clean that? can i take it somewhere? will an oil change place do it or a full garage. How about the TCC solenoid? Sorry

·
Registered
79 Posts
TO clean your maf, use crc maf cleaner.... Remove the maf from the car and follow instructions on can.

TO clean your Throttle body, uses crc throttle body cleaner that is oxygen sensor safe. Get the $3.00 replacement gasket just because a leaky gasket is bad.

Remove the throttle body from the car, clean it (the inside of it) as per the instructions on the can, let it dry.

Reassemble car, test drive, give it a couple weeks to make sure the problem doesnt come back.

Ideally if this doesn't fix it your car will eventually stall out and throw a code so you can figure out what to replace. Codes are great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I see this question (cleaning MAF and throttle) come up frequently. Is there a some sort of an illustrated guide on this forum (or anywhere else) to explain how to do this for those who are doing it for the first time?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I see this question (cleaning MAF and throttle) come up frequently. Is there a some sort of an illustrated guide on this forum (or anywhere else) to explain how to do this for those who are doing it for the first time?
No but if someone in michigan want's to brave the cold to take pictures of me doing it, I can clean the system in my 05 this weekend.

That or you can buy a haynes or chiltons manual that has decent instructions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
hope ur doing it in a heated garage or something. if i was in windsor ontario i would come, but toronto ontario is a bit of a trek, esp. at my age :bigsmile:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Heat, thats a luxury I can't afford....

Thermals and jeans and a carhart. I was sweating in the garage yesterday.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
sometimes you just gotta get your hands dirty and give it a shot. don't be afraid, it's not a hard thing to do. just be careful not to use too much leverage on the 10mm bolts on the throttle body. the plastic manifold won't take a lot of torque and those bolts are skinny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another problem...i dont have the convience of a garage or time. around how much would someone charge to do this? where would be a good place to take it? (ie shop or oil change place etc.)

on a side note i am afraid to do anything to the car because we are a one car family...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Where are you from, might be able to find someone on the forum to do it for food and booze....

Also not an oil change place, those guys suck....

A real mechanic with real exp on computer cars would be good, or the dealer.

oh and we're a 2 car house, the problem si they are both high mileage cobalts :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

if i were to take to the dealer or a exp garage they will probably be expensive!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

if i were to take to the dealer or a exp garage they will probably be expensive!!
Yes they will be expensive, but they won't screw something up either. Either do it yourself, have a knowledable associate help you with it, or take it to a dealer.

Do not have some cheap fly by night guy down the street who has a garage with 30 cars in front of it work on a car that is important to you.

If you are affraid your gonna mess something up why would you take it to some guy down the street who you don't know, don't know his qualifications, and don't know what your results will be.

I hate taking things to mechanics, I do it myself plain and simple, because then I know what was done and that it was right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How many miles are on your balt?
almost 65,000

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Yes they will be expensive, but they won't screw something up either. Either do it yourself, have a knowledable associate help you with it, or take it to a dealer.

Do not have some cheap fly by night guy down the street who has a garage with 30 cars in front of it work on a car that is important to you.

If you are affraid your gonna mess something up why would you take it to some guy down the street who you don't know, don't know his qualifications, and don't know what your results will be.

I hate taking things to mechanics, I do it myself plain and simple, because then I know what was done and that it was right.
you're 100% right, i'm also afraid of the bill. but if i want it done right i guess i have no other choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.