Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Cobalt LS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.2 2007 chevy cobalt LS has started making a weird noise when I turn the wheels. whenever I turn the wheel, it makes a large banging noise. I think it's either the front sway bar or the front struts. I jacked the car up to take a look at them recently and it didn't look like anything was wrong and when I turned the wheel as it was jacked up it wouldn't make the noise. Right around the time it started making this noise, my car started wobbling going around 40 - 55 mph. its getting to the point where I need new back breaks and new tires all around, but the wobbling only started when the banging noise started so I don't think that the tires or breaks would cause the wobbles. This problem started happening at 48,00 miles and the car is currently at 56,000 miles

·
Registered
457 Posts
That’s pretty low mileage. Or do you mean the car has 156,000 miles?

I had been chasing some vibration problems on my 2006 Cobalt sedan. While I had a bad cv axle, that wasn’t the major cause. It exacerbated the problem though. Turns out the bushings on the front lower control arms were bad. While they looked fine, removing them out of the car I was able to see that the rubber had detached from the metal parts. Had kind of dry rotted. My car had about 136,000 miles. I still need to replace the other bushing. But unless you have tools to press the bushings, I don’t recommend doing it. I also had to tack weld the bushing as the new one fit loosely. I’ll be replacing the entire control arm late on though for the aluminum ones.

When I’d lift the car on my lift at the shop, I wouldn’t be able to move the control arm. It felt solid. There’s some other issues that can cause front end noise on these cars as well. I had replaced the sway bar frame bushings a time back. It was making a knocking sound when coming into my driveway, driving over dips in pavement. And especially happened while making a turn at the same time. Mainly that would happen at lower speeds.

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Cobalt LS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s pretty low mileage. Or do you mean the car has 156,000 miles?

I had been chasing some vibration problems on my 2006 Cobalt sedan. While I had a bad cv axle, that wasn’t the major cause. It exacerbated the problem though. Turns out the bushings on the front lower control arms were bad. While they looked fine, removing them out of the car I was able to see that the rubber had detached from the metal parts. Had kind of dry rotted. My car had about 136,000 miles. I still need to replace the other bushing. But unless you have tools to press the bushings, I don’t recommend doing it. I also had to tack weld the bushing as the new one fit loosely. I’ll be replacing the entire control arm late on though for the aluminum ones.

When I’d lift the car on my lift at the shop, I wouldn’t be able to move the control arm. It felt solid. There’s some other issues that can cause front end noise on these cars as well. I had replaced the sway bar frame bushings a time back. It was making a knocking sound when coming into my driveway, driving over dips in pavement. And especially happened while making a turn at the same time. Mainly that would happen at lower speeds.
Nope, I meant 56,000. I bought the car from my grandparents. They are old and bought the car brand new back in 2007. Barely drove it, so it just sat in their driveway. I had some issues with it when I first got it, the bearings were super rusted, needed new oil, etc. This is the first major problem though. I'm gonna have to look into those. I figured it was just the front suspension being super rusted and catching on something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts