Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 08 ls when ever i go past 4k rps from my engine bay is a horrible loud hissing and rattling. i check my CAI took it off and re bolted it still there any ideas what to check next. and it started after i put my lowering springs my alignment has to wait till tuesday when i get paid think that could be it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
shot in the dark here, but try looking at you PCV hoses and fittings. Does the hissing follow wheel spin or RPMs? I know you said 4Ks in RPM, but only in that gear or in all gears?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all gears when ever i hit 4k rps it starts the just gets louder. it sounds like maroccas (musical instrument you shake ) lol it kinda sounds like its coming from near my tires but its to hard to tell

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea but i can wip the car around and swerve hard with no noise.

·
Registered
212 Posts
all gears when ever i hit 4k rps it starts the just gets louder. it sounds like maroccas (musical instrument you shake ) lol it kinda sounds like its coming from near my tires but its to hard to tell
sounds like a bearing or something is loose around the wheel then
I don't think it's the bearing if it follows the engine revs.
It still sounds like some sort of leak to me. When you say near your tires, do you mean the right or the left (as driver position)?

If the sound follows the revs then it's got something to do with engine component rather than wheel component.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its hard to judge where its coming from bc i cant rev in neutral past 4k so sitting still and finding it is impossible. i know its not my CAI i just took that all apart and re bolted it next it the exhaust, iam going to tighten everything and check the gaskets on it. is deffently driver side but reving high its hard to tell if it from my wheel or under my car. and my car only has 26k miles on it no way the bearings are bad on it. but it the exhaust dosent fix it, iam going to take apart my wheel and redo the springs on it to make sure i but my control arm isant loose or anything doing with the power going to that wheel

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Ha ha ha. I got this.......

It's your dp. Right where it bolts to the manifold. But here's the kicker. It's no leak. It's inside right at the area where the accordion flex pipe is. Your gonna need a new one. It's annoying as hell. I couldn't take it.

It's right where the flange an the flex pipe are welded. A section of steel broke off from the flange. Thats where the rattle comes from and the whistling. It happEns alot with stock dp.

Sorry for laughing cuz this happened to me past month

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you lol its loud as shit and sounds terrible, my car sounded clean and loud before now its raspy. but if i get the recing soultions header and dp combo thing that will take care of it right? bolt right in to my dc sport exhaust. Chevy Cobalt 4-1 Long Style Header/Downpipe Combo (2.2L)

·
Registered
212 Posts
good to know, also cesar is selling his DP, PM him.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
k ill talk to him about how much and if i dont have enough now is this covered by my warranty? till i save up to get the racing solution combo. bc its starting to get louder and louder as i drive. now its just starting to make the noise when i touch the gas.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
thank you lol its loud as shit and sounds terrible, my car sounded clean and loud before now its raspy. but if i get the recing soultions header and dp combo thing that will take care of it right? bolt right in to my dc sport exhaust. Chevy Cobalt 4-1 Long Style Header/Downpipe Combo (2.2L)

Yes it should

But I would remove the dp anyways and Check.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

It should be covered by the chevy warranty

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about the eat sheild, since the noise is getting louder and starts at a lower rpm you think it could just be getting looser? i need to check it but ive been busy

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
k soo new up date on the noise. my baby is in the shop. i replaced all the exhaust gaskets. then took it to my friend that works on SS alot. found the leak its coming out if my header gasket, droped the balt off at chevy today, they said they get alot of these leaks so hopefully all will be better tomorrow when i pick it up.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
haha my flex pipe is making that chirp noise from my exhaust? i can't get my damn car on the lift after work it's such a hassle cause we work til like 6 and im just always too tired. but yeah my axles are crap and i need to figure out that chirping. it sounds like a bov or a bird chirp.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so pick my car up to day. it sound the same bc they had to order parts. i need a new cat, flex pipe and header gasket. so now i got to wait for them to come in and deal with the noise till then.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea thats leaking the the gasket on the header is leaking, and my cat is ripped apart on the on side so thats rattling.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.